The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 AM

jmc5000 is on a distinguished road
Default April or May wading opportunities in the Rockies

Hello,

I've found myself between jobs and would really like to capitalize on this rare stretch of free time to get n some early season fishing in the Rockies. I've been reviewing several MT guide service sites for conditions reports and understand it is really early to be planning a trip out west (from VA) but hoping someone can point me in the right direction for early season wade-in fishing. Also open to floating and alpine lakes but want to keep costs down and not focus on floating/drifting with a guide service. I've fished around the Paradise Valley in MT and Yellowstone NP but, not little else in that area. Would think that some tailwater areas could be productive but not really familiar with what can be productive in early spring. Prefer to be in an area within a couple hundred miles of a major airport in WY, MT, CO but am considering driving since I have a couple of weeks to kill. Any help from you folks out there or who are making plans would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jerry
Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: April or May wading opportunities in the Rockies

Hello Jerry,
The early Spring or late Fall are great times to fish The Green River below Flaming Gorge, after that you can head west a couple hours and hit The Provo River around Heber City and then head North to Idaho and fish the Box Canyon and lower Henry's Fork around Ashton and St Anthony, this area always fishes well in the early season and is very accessible by wading.

Good luck and have fun wherever you go.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Jackson Hole is an option right now. I've floated two days this week and at current water levels the wade fishing opportunity is there on the Snake River. You can check out my last two fishing reports in the Rocky Mountain section. There should be a 3rd report after tomorrow as my friwnd and guiding boss are headed out again. If a float is an option to you you can click the link in my signature to check out the service or give Greg a call. Tell him Davo sent you.

ReportsSnake River Trip 4/2/2012

Snake River Jackson Hole 4/07/2012

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-08-2012, 05:04 PM

Fyshstykr/Davo - thanks for the suggestions. Fished the Provo years ago when family member lived in SLC. Easy access for sure. Also love Jackson Hole and it's a great location as well.

Thanks again and hope to hear more... Will check out your link Davo. May be open to floating depending on conditions and budget.

Jerry
Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 AM

eddyfisher is on a distinguished road

Hi Jerry,

The rivers in Central Colorado including the Arkansas, Eagle, Roaring Fork, Blue and Colorado are all fishing great. All are within a 2-3 hours drive from Denver and all offer lots of public wading waters.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Thank you for th CO info eddyfisher. Been away from the site for a few days but still in the planning phase for this trip and plan on being in CO for a few days.