The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Rock Creek Montana. You want to repair a stream?

Here's how you do it big time:

Rock Creek revegetation project uses excavator to plant willows
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rock Creek Montana. You want to repair a stream?

Fred: Now that is the way to plant willows! Wish they would have shown the cartridge that held the 50 trees. I clicked on the photos but they didn't show that piece of the equipment.

Larry
Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Seen this kind of equipment in operation once. Actual use is to drive a hole and widen it out. Think of three fingers pointed down and spread, stick in willow bit and close.

Drive hole under 60'ish tons of pressure, open and sticks there. Bit of gentle back and forth to push the dirt back and as the Brit's would say: "Bob's your Uncle."

Somewhat similar to planting self rooting grape vines. Prune in the Spring and stick a 18 -24 inch bit of that into good soil (buds up) and the ones under ground will think they're to be roots; one above vines. Issue is (area dependent) they have little resistance to vine diseases. But for replacement plants a cheap solution.

Did this when I had Vineyards here in So. Oregon. 12 foot electric warming pad that had a temp prob. Take old milk bottle flats and fill with potting soil, stick in 'sticks' and turn the heat up to 65 to 70 degrees.** Thing had a temp prob that up/downed as need in the first flat.

Cover with heavy plastic sheeting and you had an instant 'Greenhouse.' Worked a treat.

** 50 degree soil temp is the minimum if you want things (damned near anything) to grow/bud/etc. Start at that temp for a week then edge up the temp and you'll get 90+ percent of the things to 'do their thing.' Grape vines are another kind of weed if treated right.

fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 04-11-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: The work is 'milk' Fred .. not mild. My Bad :>(
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fred: Very interesting! Where do you locate a heating pad of that size?

Larry
Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 AM

Larry can't tell you off the top of my head, but it was a commercial green house equipment supplier. I'll do some research and see if I can come up with a link.

The thing was the 'Bee's Knees' for starting plants as you didn't care what the weather was as, with the heavy plastic sheet over the top, you had a mini-green house that just flat worked. With the grape starts I didn't bother to build a plastic pipe frame over the top, but with 'regular' plants, that would be a good idea.

The one thing I do remember is the unit came in several different lengths, the one I had at 12' was the longest available (at the time).

Back at you later.
Fred

Larry, here's the type of thing I used. Don't know how large you need but here's some choices on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=14252891

Bigger units: http://www.phytotronics.com/Redi-HeatMats.pdf

Google plant propagation mat for more hits.
Fred
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 04-11-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

thank you for a great post. I hope to see them when I visit in September. I just hope that nobody rips them out of the ground. TU is pretty good about posting their projects, so lets keep our fingers crossed.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
thank you for a great post. I hope to see them when I visit in September. I just hope that nobody rips them out of the ground. TU is pretty good about posting their projects, so lets keep our fingers crossed.
Did some up-dating, a few have already been 'dead headed' at someone's fav place to fish.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Larry can't tell you off the top of my head, but it was a commercial green house equipment supplier. I'll do some research and see if I can come up with a link.

The thing was the 'Bee's Knees' for starting plants as you didn't care what the weather was as, with the heavy plastic sheet over the top, you had a mini-green house that just flat worked. With the grape starts I didn't bother to build a plastic pipe frame over the top, but with 'regular' plants, that would be a good idea.

The one thing I do remember is the unit came in several different lengths, the one I had at 12' was the longest available (at the time).

Back at you later.
Fred

Larry, here's the type of thing I used. Don't know how large you need but here's some choices on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Plant Germination Heating Mats

Bigger units: http://www.phytotronics.com/Redi-HeatMats.pdf

Google plant propagation mat for more hits.
Fred
Fred: Thanks, those smaller units will work great for what I want to do.

Larry

Larry
Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Thumbs up Re: Rock Creek Montana. You want to repair a stream?

These things really work Larry. Had a free standing green house in Ashland (OR) and 'Spring One' it was a BFD as far as result. Second Spring, due to the size, I had to get three sets of smaller ones.... I was passing out 'starts' to many neighbors.

My 'results' were just 'over the top.' I could have planted all those and feed a small army when the crop came in later in the fall.