The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bitterroot river update.

Spring brings nymph frenzy on area rivers
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bitterroot river update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Fred, just curious, why do you read the Ravalli Republic everyday? Do you have roots over here?

I was wading a side channel of the Bitterroot last weekend and experienced a really nice BWO hatch, really nice hatch. And not a single fish rising to naturals or my imitation. The come other mayflies showed up, either March Browns or small Drakes and I picked a couple fish, one I lost the other I broke off.

The early spring fishing was really off this year. Getting out to wade just about anywhere on the Root in March is generally an absolute. But the flows have been really unstable since St. Patty's day. Last weekend was the best conditions yet; stable, dropping flows, warm days and nights with overcast skies. Perfect. The guys that floated on Sunday and Monday had epic fishing no doubt. Then it hit 70 on Tuesday and we're on the verge of blowout.

But three good water years in a row is hard to complain about. The fish are healthy and happy!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Answer to 'do you read every day,' the answer is yes. Made two trips over there last fall (first a week and LOVED IT, the second time back was two weeks) and got used to reading their local paper.

No 'legal family' there, but past ... yes (they moved there).

But the best reads on the Internet (you have no idea how many I subscribe too) are the local news papers and International Additions of several major ones. Either way, you'll get perspectives you'd never dream about but (in my line of business) need to know.

With 'Murican newspapers/TV you could choose any and get the same article/news "regurgitated" over and over. Reading elsewhere can be a real eye-opener.

I kid you not.

Fred

Edit: Forgot to add .... the weather that comes over my head here in 'Medford, Or' is (usually) headed your way. If you get, what we just got .... you're about to get pounded! I'm at 1360'ish feet, add 500 some to that and everything is white. Wind blew so hard last night it actually woke up the Dogs, who woke me (darn them, I was beat but needed to get up anyway).

Last edited by fredaevans; 04-12-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: God Fred, you can type better than that! Maybe knot?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

See and I always read what Fred writes because I was born and raised in Medford Oregon. Even though I love living in Colorado now I daydream about flyfishing for Steelhead on the Rogue or Umpqua. My dad still has a second home just outside of Bend and one of these years I will make it back to fish the Deschutes and other beautiful Central Oregon rivers.