The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on fishing the Green river in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
I was just going thru that Dutch John/Flaming Gorge area on my way back to SLC to catch a flight and decided I'd give the Green a shot since I'd always heard and read so much about it. Anyway I pulled off of the main road in a couple spots only to see a sign down by the river bank which read I'd need this permit or that to advance ? Wasn't lost, just didn't get much hospitality from the locals re access to the Green ? On the bright side I got to fish the Provo River down by
SLC-Provo which I'd not done before.
Jim: The next time you have a chance to get down there, just realize that the road leading down to the river right below the dam has a parking lot up high with some stairs you can take down to the river. This is all BLM land and they have built a walkway from the dam all the way through the canyon down to the take out at Little Hole (7 miles). As you drive past Dutch John (a wide spot in the road) there is a paved road next to the Trout Creek Flies fly shop/gas station/convenience store. If you turn off hwy 191 onto that paved road it will lead you down to the take out for the A section called Little Hole. Lots of parking (I think they charge $5/day for parking). From the parking lot if you head off to the right you will see the trail leading up river. It is all public access so you can find lots of great places to fish.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jim: The next time you have a chance to get down there, just realize that the road leading down to the river right below the dam has a parking lot up high with some stairs you can take down to the river. This is all BLM land and they have built a walkway from the dam all the way through the canyon down to the take out at Little Hole (7 miles). As you drive past Dutch John (a wide spot in the road) there is a paved road next to the Trout Creek Flies fly shop/gas station/convenience store. If you turn off hwy 191 onto that paved road it will lead you down to the take out for the A section called Little Hole. Lots of parking (I think they charge $5/day for parking). From the parking lot if you head off to the right you will see the trail leading up river. It is all public access so you can find lots of great places to fish.
OK, appreciate the info McNerney !
I wasn't inconvenienced or anything as I'd spent over a week up in Montana fishing and I was just passing thru the area on my way back to the airport in SLC. Next time I'll know how to get down to the fishing area on the Green.
BTW remember going thru Pinedale on 191, that's an interesting looking little town, got any good streams around there ? And that's a great drive thru Wyoming from Jackson down into Utah, had not taken that route before.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
OK, appreciate the info McNerney !
I wasn't inconvenienced or anything as I'd spent over a week up in Montana fishing and I was just passing thru the area on my way back to the airport in SLC. Next time I'll know how to get down to the fishing area on the Green.
BTW remember going thru Pinedale on 191, that's an interesting looking little town, got any good streams around there ? And that's a great drive thru Wyoming from Jackson down into Utah, had not taken that route before.
Jim: Your welcome! Lots of fishing opportunities around here. The New Fork river flows through town. Access is a problem unless you have a pontoon or drift boat. The upper Green is just outside of town and it has great public access, plus there are a few boat ramps for floating. The Hoback river is west on hwy 191 with lots of public access and then there is the Snake river about an hour and a half away as is the South Fork of the Snake. Lots of lakes around here also.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Honestly I'm betwixed on this one....I have no idea where this would have been unless it was some private ranch land down around Brown's Park or Jones Hole. The Green is wide open as far as access. Color me befuddled!
Well I'm glad I'm not alone
smoochie don't let this throw you off, you will catch some decent fish and have a great time on the river!
Peace,
Watson
Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 AM

sinc will become famous soon enough

I canoed the Green from Flaming Gorge Dam (Utah) to Browns Park (Colorado). You can't go further in a canoe due to big rapids. The fly fishing was good all the way even in the middle of all the floaters in inner tubes. The floaters only go about 9 miles downstream from the dam as I recall, and then you have the river to yourself. It's a two-day trip. Great trout fishing in July and a great river trip. But I did it with a private party, so I can't recommend a guide.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I know these guys are a blast to fish with. One of them (Cody) is marring a good friend of mines sister. They have been fishing and guiding there for a good while. From the stories I hear catch boat loads of fish.

Guided Flyfishing trips Green River, Fly fishing the Green ,Green River Fly Fishing Outfitters River and Flaming Gorge, Utah Fly fishing guide Service

I would give them a shout tell them B sent ya.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM

oldfatman is on a distinguished road

Trout Creek is a great outfit- probably can't go wrong with them. Flaming Gorge Recreation has RV park, Cabins, store and restaurant and a great guide service. I've fished with the same guide there twice- cant remember his name but his picture is on Spinner Fall's website with a big brown. Book with them, go early and do an A/B- you'll cherry pick the A, see the canyon and and really fish the B section. Outstanding hopper action on the B and there is one really fat 20" cutty in the vicinity of grasshopper island that's a friend of mine. Worth the extra cost for the A-B but tip the guide well- he'll earn it. Row it yourself and you'll send him another tip.