The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 PM

smoochie is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on fishing the Green river in Utah

Planning a trip in july, to fish the Green river in Utah, would like some recommendations on a guide or guide service. Any other advice would be welcomed
Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on fishing the Green river in Utah

Hi Smoochie,
Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I will say about the Green River in July is "bikini hatch". Second I will say avoid the 'A' section. If you must fish this section then do it very early(at or before sunrise) until the floaters start, and later in the afternoon to avoid the recreational floaters. It will cost a little more but in my opinion you are better off fishing the 'B' or 'C' sections, somewhat fewer fish, but they are bigger. And with the light Winter and dry Spring to this point, the hoppers may start a little early and be going strong by this time. Big Browns on big dries or streamers is often the game on these two sections.

There are a bunch of Guides in the area, here are a couple outfits that have been on the river for a long time that you can't go wrong with.

Trout Creek Flies.
http://fishutahsgreenriver.co/

Western Rivers.
http://fishutahsgreenriver.co/

Good luck with your trip.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Yes you had definitely better make plans/arrangements well in advance to fish that river if that's a goal because I know I came thru there last year from Jackson Hole on the way to SLC and thought I'd give it a shot but found that one can't even get access without a special permit. Just a mere Utah fishing license is not even an opening hand when it comes to fishing the Green River it would seem ?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jim,
What happened?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-14-2012, 04:45 PM

smoochie is on a distinguished road

Thank you guys for the advice, just booked a trip with Trout Creek Flies! Decided to fish during the week, avoiding the weekend and fishing for 3 days, can't wait.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:34 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

I've fished the Green in SW Wyoming, not far from Utah. GREAT fishing in the Green and the smaller tributaries. I fished with these guys, and they're always excellent guides....

Southwest Wyoming | Flyfishing with The Solitary Angler

We were there on the 1st of October, so it was cold. But the fishing was HOT. Non-stop action on rainbows and spawning kokonee salmon.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochie View Post
Thank you guys for the advice, just booked a trip with Trout Creek Flies! Decided to fish during the week, avoiding the weekend and fishing for 3 days, can't wait.
Smoochie: Good choice on outfitters! I've used them a few times in the past. I'd still fish the "A" section just to see the canyon. Yes there are a lot of tubers in the summer, but the fishing is still very good. You will catch mostly bows and cut bows with a few browns thrown in, on the B section it is mostly browns. Send me a PM if your interested in fishing on your own down there, if you plan to spend an extra day or two, I can give you a few pointers.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:17 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
Yes you had definitely better make plans/arrangements well in advance to fish that river if that's a goal because I know I came thru there last year from Jackson Hole on the way to SLC and thought I'd give it a shot but found that one can't even get access without a special permit. Just a mere Utah fishing license is not even an opening hand when it comes to fishing the Green River it would seem ?
Jim, you must have been lost somewhere between Jackson Hole and SLC
There is no permit needed for the AB or C section of the Green.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but the only section that I can think of that you do need a permit for is Desolation Canyon. Sure Labyrinth Canyon has a permit also but its not something you put in a lottery for and Dinosaur NM I'm not even sure you can float that at all? But hey I'm no John Wesley Powell I haven't floated all 700+ miles of that beauty so what do I know.

smoochie, That is great you will be able to get out on the weekdays, that should help some. It will be a busy time of year but that cant take away from the beauty of the canyon. Three days, three sections of river, sounds about right to me! You will have a great time, all the advice above is good stuff the only thing I will add is, if at all possible say no to balloons and throw something with a little meat on it.
Cheers!
Watson
Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
Jim, you must have been lost somewhere between Jackson Hole and SLC
There is no permit needed for the AB or C section of the Green.

I was just going thru that Dutch John/Flaming Gorge area on my way back to SLC to catch a flight and decided I'd give the Green a shot since I'd always heard and read so much about it. Anyway I pulled off of the main road in a couple spots only to see a sign down by the river bank which read I'd need this permit or that to advance ? Wasn't lost, just didn't get much hospitality from the locals re access to the Green ? On the bright side I got to fish the Provo River down by
SLC-Provo which I'd not done before.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
I was just going thru that Dutch John/Flaming Gorge area on my way back to SLC to catch a flight and decided I'd give the Green a shot since I'd always heard and read so much about it. Anyway I pulled off of the main road in a couple spots only to see a sign down by the river bank which read I'd need this permit or that to advance ? Wasn't lost, just didn't get much hospitality from the locals re access to the Green ? On the bright side I got to fish the Provo River down by
SLC-Provo which I'd not done before.
Honestly I'm betwixed on this one....I have no idea where this would have been unless it was some private ranch land down around Brown's Park or Jones Hole. The Green is wide open as far as access. Color me befuddled!