The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 AM

f1 fan will become famous soon enoughf1 fan will become famous soon enough
Default Introduction

Hi all,

My name is Brad and I live in Sheridan, WY. I am new here and to fly fishing, I guess I came to learn from people in the area. So, I have a rod, reel, a bunch of flys, leader, tippet, what else do I need to go? I want waders, but not really sure I would use them so can you get them used? This spring, I want to get a guide to take me and help teach me is that a good idea or not?

Thanks for any help,
Davo likes this.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction

Brad.If you intend to fish streams and rivers waders will be very useful...you can find some rather cheap ones...try to find a fishing club in your area or an experienced fisherman who can help you ...you may find one here on the forum.As for a guide why not when you get some basis.
Davo likes this.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

f1

Using a guide can be very useful. You should also consider clubs like trout unlimited or calling around to various shops and see if there are any fly fishing classes you can enroll in!! Anyway welcome to fly fishing and the forum!! Enjoy!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
f1

Using a guide can be very useful. You should also consider clubs like trout unlimited or calling around to various shops and see if there are any fly fishing classes you can enroll in!! Anyway welcome to fly fishing and the forum!! Enjoy!!
Thanks for the sugestions, as for the class, the parks department has a casting class it is 1 1/2 hours long 4 times put on by the guy that owns the fly shop in town. It is only $35 for all of it, and yes I am signed up.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:19 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hi Brad, Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to visit and chat with people that are familiar with your neck of the woods. The knowledge of these folks will amaze you. Do you have any fly shops near you? If so, I would start doing your research and learning there. If not, there are many DVD's and books that will get you going.

My very first piece of advise to you would be; be patient, and take the time to enjoy the learning process. Too many bad experiences at the beginning of the learning process can ruin it forever. Your local TU chapter (like Davo mentioned) is a resource that most people overlook. Everyone thinks that TU just wants your money or is just for those people that know how to fly fish. Call them or email them yourself and find out.

Good luck and I hope you remember to have fun.

Take care

PS>>>>>>>this might help

Joel Wilson Interim President Little Bighorn Chapter of Trout Unlimited (307) 751-6397
Davo likes this.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
Thanks for the sugestions, as for the class, the parks department has a casting class it is 1 1/2 hours long 4 times put on by the guy that owns the fly shop in town. It is only $35 for all of it, and yes I am signed up.
Good for you, casting class can help alot. Look for some actual on the water classes too. That will help with reading water, fly selection and situational strategies!! But most of all like dharkin said..... Have fun!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-15-2012, 01:07 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM

We do have a fly shop in town, it seems nice, and the class I signed up for is being taught by the owner of the shop. I like to go in and just look around and hang out for a while and listen in when other people come in to get stuff. I hope people don't think I am just nosy but I am just trying to learn to lingo and what people are acutally getting. I am also trying to get a relationship with them and bought everything I have so far from him.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Brad: Welcome to the forum! You live in a great area to learn fly fishing. Lots of remote lakes in your area that have some tremendous Cutthroat if your willing to do a little hiking.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Brad,

Glad to have you with us.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;