The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM

Brew_WY is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone fished Curt Gowdy State Park? (WY)

Just as the title says...What kind of results did you have? This is one of the places that is close to home that could be a possibility for some evening fishing after work or camping for the weekend. I know that there are Browns, Cutthroat, Yellow Perch, Kokanee Salmon and Rainbows in the lakes.

Thanks,

Brew

Last edited by Brew_WY; 04-19-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: Has anyone fished Curt Gowdy State Park? (WY)

I've been thinking about it for the perch if nothing else. Seems as if our Game and Fish is stingy where they allow us to have perch! I did fish it back about 20 years ago but remember little about it.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 AM

I grew up in Riverton, WY and all the low land lanks in the area had perch. I thought it was odd when I moved to South East Wyoming that there were very few lakes that are stocked with them.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Finally had a reason to create an account here (to respond to you Q):

I've fished Curt Gowdy the past couple summers, and this ice fished this past winter (only actually fished Granite, not Crystal or North Crow reservoirs). I've only caught rainbows, browns, and perch, and nothing over 15 inches. I've seen pictures of 20 inch rainbows pulled out of there, but never seen one myself.

If you're looking for a place to fish in the evening, I'd start exploring the Veedauwoo area for beaver ponds. The brook trout there are plentiful and beautiful.

Peace.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
If you're looking for a place to fish in the evening, I'd start exploring the Veedauwoo area for beaver ponds. The brook trout there are plentiful and beautiful.

Peace.
Thanks for the recommendation. A friend of mine had talked about fishing the beaver ponds up there last summer. I told him I would purchase the beverages if he wouldn't mind showing me where the ponds are. My gear should be in Tuesday I think, so I am hopeing next Sunday I can get out and throw a few flies somewhere.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
Finally had a reason to create an account here (to respond to you Q):

I've fished Curt Gowdy the past couple summers, and this ice fished this past winter (only actually fished Granite, not Crystal or North Crow reservoirs). I've only caught rainbows, browns, and perch, and nothing over 15 inches. I've seen pictures of 20 inch rainbows pulled out of there, but never seen one myself.

Peace.
I would second the veedauwoo. If you are willing to work your butt off you can get into 14"+ brookies. I have heard of them even reaching 18".

My brother-in-law lives in laramie, and that is where I like to fish when I go down there. I like chasing monster brookies.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 AM

rusty_r is on a distinguished road

I grew up in Cheyenne and went to school in Laramie. I used to fish Curt Gowdy as a kid a couple of decades ago. North Crow was always more productive from a float tube than the other two (less traffic I think).

What the man says about the beaver ponds up there is the truth. Brookies galore. I used to strip a #8 or 6 Wooly Worm tied with sparkle chenile, grizzly hackle and a bright red tail. IT NEVER FAILED!! I went back a couple of years ago and the it was still the go-to fly.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_r View Post
I used to strip a #8 or 6 Wooly Worm tied with sparkle chenile, grizzly hackle and a bright red tail. IT NEVER FAILED!! I went back a couple of years ago and the it was still the go-to fly.
Thanks for the tip on what to throw up there. Looks like my new rod should be here today and we are looking at 70* temps on Sunday. I am thinking that I might have to go look around up there and see what I can come up with for Brookies.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 PM

Well my new gear is all in and I am headed to Vedawoo tomorrow morning with a friend. If we aren't having any success on the beaver ponds we might head over the hill in to Curt Gowdy just to check it out. Looking forward to trying out my rig. Have been using some borrowed equipment until now. I purchased a 4-piece Cabela's L-Tech 5wt 9' and a #2 Lamson Konic reel. Spooled it all up last night. Looking forward to hitting the water in the morning.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

New gear is always a great motivator. I hope you had a great time.