The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road
Default Cimmaron River in northeastern New Mexico ?

I've read there's good public access along state HW 64 in the Cimmaron Park area ? From what I've read this is a very small stream but there's good
Brown population, though fishing pressure is heavy ? Spring fishing (April into early May) before snowmelt is usually good from what I've read ?
Anybody got some experience on this stream ?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cimmaron River in northeastern New Mexico ?

Yes, I've fished the Cimarron every summer for the last 10-12 yrs. It's right along HW64 so easy access means you do have to put up with the crowds. I usually fish the Palisades area to start with, then move to Blackjack. It is a small, very brushy stream so short rods are best. I use 6.5-8ft, 3 and 4wts. I usually fish in mid September when a lot of the crowd thins out. There's a little store(Pine Ridge) in Ute Park where you can get your license and some flies. He can hook you up with Doc Thompson if you want a guide. There's a charge to stop in the parking areas, not much, but a nuisance. May want to stop in at Gravel Pit lake, down the road from Palisades. Good Luck! Glen
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
Yes, I've fished the Cimarron every summer for the last 10-12 yrs. It's right along HW64 so easy access means you do have to put up with the crowds. I usually fish the Palisades area to start with, then move to Blackjack. It is a small, very brushy stream so short rods are best. I use 6.5-8ft, 3 and 4wts. I usually fish in mid September when a lot of the crowd thins out. There's a little store(Pine Ridge) in Ute Park where you can get your license and some flies. He can hook you up with Doc Thompson if you want a guide. There's a charge to stop in the parking areas, not much, but a nuisance. May want to stop in at Gravel Pit lake, down the road from Palisades. Good Luck! Glen
Great info Cimarron, that should be very useful. Thanks a lot I'm very grateful.
I'm going in a couple weeks, probably not the best time of the year to go fishing there but I'm trying to fit it in with a visit to the wife's family in Albuquerque.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

go to Cimarron River | New Mexico Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions for a lot more info on the Cimarron.