The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default 4th Spring Snake River Float!

The weather man was just a bit off the mark as to how the day would unfold. Despite this it was a good day of fishing. Started out with full cloud cover, some wind and a temperature in the mid 40's.

First signs of a good day happened about a 1/4 mile down from the put in. Nice little Cutty aggressively attack my stream the instant it hit the water. I was lucky to get the hook set it happened so fast. This guy really wanted that fly!!
Click the image to open in full size.

Several more were brought to hand on streamer as well.

We also managed to find fish rising to dries in several riffles. I already posted in the forum about getting a job offer in one of the runs where we found risers. That added to the already good day on the river.

Eventually the weather turned just a little before the take and gave some sun and warmth. So far this spring has been very good for fishing. Most the snow at the lower elevations is gone now. Things are looking good for a short runoff year. If this comes to pass I think our summer fishing is going to be awesome and longer the usual. This will be a nice change from the last couple of years where we had high water and extended runoff.

Hope everyone is getting out and enjoying the water. Till next time I wish you tight lines and clear skies!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-22-2012, 01:13 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 4th Spring Snake River Float!

Sounds like you are having a great year thus far Davo. Thanks for sharing and keep it up. Care to share any patterns that you are using? (to catch fish that is)
Old 04-22-2012, 03:08 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
Sounds like you are having a great year thus far Davo. Thanks for sharing and keep it up. Care to share any patterns that you are using? (to catch fish that is)
Streamers that really worked for me were new ones I tied up. I used the pattern for the FC Salt Shaker. Instead of a thread head I used a cone head. For the body I replaced the silver flashabou with black. I figure you can use any color you want, I've also had success with gold. Here is a link for tying the standard gold. Swimming Flies - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

For dry flies we used BWO's, Para Hares Ears, Adams, Chubby Chernobils, and gold bodied PMX's. The big flies only produce a few takes but the fish are looking for big flies as there are a lot of stone nymphs about and some hatching out.

Nymphs were Brown and black rubberlegs.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

That last cut has some great color.

Looks like I will have to get a WY license next year, to broke this year. I would really like to make it down to Jackson not to mention the good half of The Clarks is right next door to me.

I can not wait for some stonefly hatchs up here though. While I have found a few nymphs I have not seen any shucks on the rocks yet. Though we have seen a nice BWO hatch with all this rain,sun,snow,rain,sun in the span of a few hours we have had a few days this past week.

nothing beats top water. cheers Davo looks like you had fun
Old 04-22-2012, 04:03 PM

Shorty

Thanks. Weather has been producing some weird activity in the fish and bugs. One day it is still winter and the next it is full on summer except for the wet wading!! 42 degree water is just a bit on the cold side. .

If you get to make the trip down be sure to give us a shout!!