The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 PM

spug is on a distinguished road
Default Heading to Colorado

Florida saltwater guy here getting ready to head out west for a couple of days of fishing with my Dad. We will be staying at his place in Frisco (Summit County) from 5/31-6/3. Just wondering if anyone can give me a heads-up on what's going on up there this time of year as far as flies and gear. Should I bring my Xi3 5wt or is it overkill? Are big streamers out of the question this time of year? I would love to tie some fat streamer patterns to bring along since it's something I have been wanting to do for years. Good dries? Nymphs? Hoppers? The bigger the better but whatever works up there is obviously what I will throw. It's been years since I have fished for trout so, needless to say, I'm pumped! Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, there any pike up there??? Should I pack an 8 wt. just in case? I want one more than my next tarpon! I know it's a lot of questions but I have only fished out there once and it was a long time ago.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Heading to Colorado

google 'blue river fishing report' for good flies and stream flows, there are several.
Frisco is right next to silverthorn, the blue river flows from Dillon reservoir through silverthorn. It is gold medal trout water, caught my first 20" trout there and several other nice fish. Down stream of town(north) has a few good public accesses that are more scenic. Big trout are mostly in town below the dam. You could also drive to the Eagle, Colorado, Roaring fork, or Frying pan depending on flows. 6/1 would generally be a high water time of year.
5wt is perfect in my opinion. You might have to drive for pike to spinney res. or stagecoach res. in steamboat.
Mysis shrimp, eggs, worms, and small midge nymphs are common fare for the tailwater, but just find the fly shop in silverthorn, 1 exit East from frisco on 70, they will have an accurate list of what is working. Big streamers will work dawn and dusk, especially if flows are up. Downstream more typical caddis/stonefly stuff should work. If you can get below Green mountain reservoir, it is very nice and secluded along a deep canyon.
Pretty funny, I am hoping to catch my first bonefish or tarpon this june in Mexico. no clue what I am in for! If you have any advice...
TB
blue river rainbow:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Very cool. Thanks man. Any pointers on how to get those pike? Are they on banks or what?

I've never fished Mexico but I have a few buddies that do on a somewhat regular basis. For bones, make sure you are set with plenty of backing and a good quality reel. For tarpon, get ready to bow and sharpen the **** out of your hooks! Also, listen to your guide...they know their stuff.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Hey spug,
I am a pike noob, I have a rod meant for them, but have yet to do the deed...
I hear they are shallow for spawn right now, and basking in the sun, and hunting trout in shallows dawn and dusk. By June they might be deeper as the surface temps climb. Check out Fish Explorer for pike info. I hear 6"+ streamers from a boat are the ticket. From what I hear, pike can be very hit or miss. However, with a good drift, a nice trout is almost definite out of the BLue. Just depends on how much time you have. Fishing the Blue river below town is beautiful.

I've heard about the 'bow' to the tarpon, probably hard to remember to do in the moment! I'll be bringing brand new sharp hooks and a file...
Old 05-04-2012, 01:09 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

If you are staying in summit, then you are central to LOTS of good fishing.

Like tblom said, I would start on the Blue. Get your arm tired from fishing to all the brooders that CDOW put in about a month ago...

After that, head to the pan early in the morning. chuck mysis to the brutes in the toilet bowl and when the sun comes up, fish the risers on the flats and bend hole.

Another drive that's only about an hour and half will put you in Steamboat where you can fish the yampa below stagecoach. Excellent fishing even though they get so much pressure.

Those locations are for the brutes...for a more "natural" experience, fish the Blue north of silverthorne, the eagle, or the Colorado near Kremmling or further west towards junction. You could also have a fun day of brookie fishing up Guanella pass or at any of the high mountain creeks and lakes.

Bring the 5 wt...you'll easily get into some 4-6 lbers. As for flies, you probably won't have what the fish are keyed in on so plan to hit some of the shops. I just fished the Blue yesterday and I consider it my "home waters". Think smaller...midges...yes they are brooders, but now that they've been in the river for a month and almost 3 months by the time you get out here, they will be looking for more "natural" food items.

By then, the hoppers should also be out so a dry dropper rig will work great!

No pike really up around summit county. There are pike in Steamboat...the Yampa in town has some...

sorry...lots of info, but you're coming at a great time and to a great location that puts you in the middle of lots of good fishing. Heck, I might even be around to show you around if you like.

Last edited by mcnerney; 05-04-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Removed the "Check my Blog" invite.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

I sent you a PM. No need to leave Summit County for good fishing.

Chris
Old 05-05-2012, 08:26 AM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

I agree with the above poster. Lots of good stuff to fish in Summit, but might consider a venture or two. If you venture out you might consider three places. The Colorado, about an hour drive to get to Grand county, South Platte, about two and a half hours, but you need to go early, gets really windy, or the flying pan, about two hours.

Williams fork Resv has pike...and they should be in the flats opposite the dam. You can park right at the road and walk in. Basically the flats run from the inlet, all they way around to the camp ground. Throw a big double bunny...you want big streamers right.

As far as big streamers everywhere else, I throw a lot of peacock buggers. I ty them in a size 6 or 8 though.

I lived in Summit for the last 12 years, just moved to Montana....so I will also send some other ideas.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:11 AM

rider14x is on a distinguished road

Hey spug, I agree with the rest of the crew regarding destinations and tactics. One other thing to consider is the runoff. We have one of the thinnest snowpacks on record, so the water is almost a full month ahead of schedule. Just keep that in mind when you are researching hatches and fly patterns. Have fun and good luck!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Wow, what an awesome response! Lots of great info and is much appreciated! I am now even more pumped to get out there. @ tblom, yes it is extremely hard to remember to bow to those fish during a fight. It is also nearly impossible not to blow a cast and pile a bunch of line on their heads out of excitement the first few times you see those things in the water. Its insane!

@vitesse, I will try to hit you up one of the days. That could be cool. Thanks for the offer. Shoot me your e-mail.

Thanks again for the input everyone
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM

I got my paws on a 590-4 Z-Axis. Ready to roll!