The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By al_a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default One perfect cast

When I walked from the studio to the house, there were caddis in the air. I'm fortunate enough to live part time on the banks of the Yellowstone River just outside Livingston, Montana, and it was finally a warm day after more than a week of cool, cloudy, sometimes rainy weather. The good thing about the weather was that it had stopped the snowmelt and the river, while still a bit high, was clear enough to fish, with about two feet of visibility. The Mother's Day caddis had started to appear before the cool weather hit, but this was the first day since that there were caddis flying.

Two hours until dark. I told my wife I ought to be fishing. She suggested I put the little Watermaster raft in at the house and float down to the Hwy. 89 bridge, about three or four miles, and she'd come and pick me up there. She didn't have to talk me into it.

There were indeed caddis in the air along the river. Not the full blown hatch, where millions of bugs are on the water, so many my buddies and I call the floating mats of insects "caddis pizzas". So many that their lime green egg cases totally cover whatever parts of your waders are underwater for a while. No, this was sparse for the caddis hatch, with pockets along the banks where there would be about a thousand caddis in an area the size of an automobile. And hardly any caddis on the water. No rising fish.

I put on a streamer and fished it as I drifted downstream, watching for rises as much as stripping the streamer. I briefly hooked one fish, didn't even see it.

Finally, a rise. Another one. I stopped, tied on an elk hair caddis a size bigger than the real bugs, and a drifted it over where I'd seen the first rise. Slurp. A little eight inch rainbow. Drifted it over the second rise area. Another rainbow, about ten inches.

No more rises. Still hardly any bugs on the water. I drifted on downstream, letting the fly drift along the bank along with me. Nothing. Then, in a big slow water eddy just off the main current along a bluff in deep shade, I saw a rise. Another. A couple more. I slid into the slow water, watching as the rises continued along the soft current seam. It wasn't a feeding frenzy, maybe one or two rises, then 30 seconds or so, then one or two more. But I started drifting over where I saw each rise, and I believe that I caught or at least hooked every fish I saw rising in that eddy, about 15 of them in all. That's nice about the Mother's Day caddis hatch, it's the first big hatch after a hard winter and the fish aren't picky.

By that time it was getting close to sunset, so I drifted on, looking for more rises. There were very few, but I caught a couple more fish. And then, as I was drifting down a fast run, I saw a single rise in reverse current a foot from a rocky bank, a long cast length from my drift line, well ahead of me. I had time, as I drifted down to a point adjacent to the rise and a long cast length away, to realize that I'd only get one shot and it would have to be perfect, because I wasn't going to get much of a drift in those differential currents. I'm far from the best fly caster, and my mends on long casts are shaky at best, so I figured I should lay the fly no more than two feet upcurrent from where I'd marked the single rise by a distinctive rock on the bank next to where I'd seen it. Two feet would be about all the drift I'd get.

The fly, amazingly, landed exactly where I wanted it to, drifted the two feet, and disappeared in a big maw. I had the fish on long enough to see it well, and it was over 20 inches. The hook came loose, however, long before I had the fish under control. I didn't really care. I was just happy to have made that perfect cast that paid off with the take. Sometimes it's almost enough to convince me that I know what I'm doing when it comes to fly fishing.

By that time it was nearing dark and I still had the rapid just above the 89 bridge to run. It's not really difficult but it isn't something I want to do in the dark in an eight foot raft. I called my wife on the cell phone and told her I was ten minutes away from the take-out. The rapid was uneventful, and I was just carrying the raft up the ramp when she arrived.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: One perfect cast

Beautiful story, I felt like I was there. You painted an image in my head that I would be happy to experience any day! Fishing a fun little hatch, and running a rapid at dark to boot, just what a fly-fishing-adrenaline-junky needs on a quick trip out! Granted, I probably wouldn't make the cast, but love hearing when a forum buddy does just that!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Have to agree with AJ, great story!! Times like those are the leading cause of fly fishing addiction! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Last edited by Davo; 05-05-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have stated, beautiful story, very captivating!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:01 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I love the perfect cast. I had a simular experience where I had a nice reach cast, 3 sec drift to land my biggest brown out of my creek. (16") Best part is I got to see the whole take, had a chance to strike to early and didnt.

I have to say even if its a 5" fish if the cast is right with a nice dry take nothing beats it. I have alot of friends from CO that do nothing but nymph and sure they catch massive fish, but imo nothing compares to that experience like you had.

Great story-
Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 PM

monello will become famous soon enough

Last night I was at the rest stop in Emigrant last night. I walked down to the river, it was about 6:30pm. There were tons of caddis' flying along the bank. I sat and watched the trout rise to grab a quick meal.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, from what I've heard, the caddis hatch came off a lot better at Emigrant and above than it did down around Livingston. I was on the river yesterday afternoon just above Livingston (the Pine Creek Road to Carter's Bridge stretch) and there were very few caddis. I did catch a bunch of fish on nymphs. This evening I fished below Livingston and there were almost no caddis. And the river is rising fast and was almost too murky for good fishing this afternoon.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Nice!