The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   streamer fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/274231-streamer-fishing.html)

jw12 05-07-2012 07:55 PM

streamer fishing

The body of water I fish consists of rainbow stockers, some of which are pretty big (15-20 inches), and a few browns. I know big streamers are the way to go for the big browns, but if I'm mainly looking at rainbows, will the big flies be a good way to target them?

Davo 05-07-2012 08:16 PM

Re: streamer fishing

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw12 (Post 444575)
The body of water I fish consists of rainbow stockers, some of which are pretty big (15-20 inches), and a few browns. I know big streamers are the way to go for the big browns, but if I'm mainly looking at rainbows, will the big flies be a good way to target them?

If the browns eat them the rainbows will eat them. !5-20 inch trout I'd be using flies up #2. If you find they don't like the bigger stuff start dropping down to 4's 6's and 8's

ausablebrown 05-07-2012 08:53 PM

I had fish attacking streamers last week where I was fishing. Browns, Bows, and a couple of brook trout on 4's and 2's with coneheads and rubber legs. Big rainbows, stockers, and I caught plenty of them.

Hardyreels 05-08-2012 11:10 AM

Hi JW,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get some more replies to your first thread but the guys are pointing you in the right direction already. Are you fishing still water or a creek / river? Knowing that will be helpful because of the differing techniques that we develop for fishing these different water types.

Glad to have you here,

Ard

jw12 05-08-2012 12:52 PM

creeks/rivers, some slower moving holes but no lake fishing.

dharkin 05-08-2012 05:45 PM

Your location may also be helpful in terms of patterns that others have had luck with. I am from Massachusetts and some of our best patterns may not work for you. Some people say that stocked fish are stupid and easy to catch. Nothing could be further from the truth. The main ingredient to success in any body of water is having confidence in the pattern that you are using. Fish that have been recently stocked in a river are often the most difficult to figure out. They don’t know where they are, where the food is, where the prime lies are, and constantly “bolt” through sections of the river in search of all of the above. Are you familiar with the rivers/creeks that you are fishing? If so, I would suggest that you make 10-15 casts to locations that you think holds fish………vary presentation and retrieve, then change to another pattern. You mentioned streamers, here is a great one from my neck of the woods that many people may not have heard of…………google “Shufelt Special”. This is a killer pattern developed in Maine. Dare you to try it:) Another guy from Missoula may mention a "pass lake special" ;), that is another great streamer that many have never tried.

Best of luck.

ausablebrown 05-08-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dharkin (Post 445101)
Some people say that stocked fish are stupid and easy to catch. Nothing could be further from the truth. The main ingredient to success in any body of water is having confidence in the pattern that you are using. Fish that have been recently stocked in a river are often the most difficult to figure out. They don’t know where they are, where the food is, where the prime lies are, and constantly “bolt” through sections of the river in search of all of the above.
Best of luck.

Hmmm... I disagree a little at least. I've caught the same stocker twice in 5 minutes on the same fly....to me stockers seem pretty easy to catch; erratic in their behavior but more willing than wild fish to take a variety of flies.

shortyb 05-09-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ausablebrown (Post 445186)
Hmmm... I disagree a little at least. I've caught the same stocker twice in 5 minutes on the same fly....to me stockers seem pretty easy to catch; erratic in their behavior but more willing than wild fish to take a variety of flies.

I would have to agree with this statement. Even when talking dry fly's, some times our higher alpine lakes that have stocked cuts will eat any thing. Though some of the bigger ones do require more of a attractor pattern than an imitation.

dharkin 05-09-2012 05:01 PM

WOW!
How hurtful......all this time I thought I was a "wicked" good fisherman. Only to find out that I am the dummy........Bummer!:) I hate fishing now.

shortyb 05-09-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dharkin (Post 445670)
WOW!
How hurtful......all this time I thought I was a "wicked" good fisherman. Only to find out that I am the dummy........Bummer!:) I hate fishing now.

I don't doubt you know your stuff and are a "wicked" good fisherman dharkin ;)

I assume when talking about stocked fish its more a matter of how long have they been in that body of water and know the food sources, like your saying.

While in my experience thus far stocked fish in the lakes have been ez to fool compared to the wild trout found in the gin clear rivers in my area.

Does not mean a state that raises older fish to put into their rivers/lakes wont react completely different right? Also I am sure it matters what type of fish. Brookies and cutties seem to eat any good pattern on the surface.

Back on point: dharkins streamer suggestions look sexy, I think I will have to try some of these patterns out. I am really looking forward to learning to strip flys this summer.