The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 03:24 PM

flyfishmich is on a distinguished road
Default Jackson Wyoming trip next year

Hi there Wyoming experts. I am palnning a trip out that way next year. is there a certain time of the year when the fishing is good. I was thinking the last week of August-1st week of Sept. But, if it is better in june then let me know. I for sure want to fish Yellowstone. If there is another river closer to Jackson that would be great. Like I know the Snake is out that way.
Anyway. thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM

fishnskiguy has a spectacular aura aboutfishnskiguy has a spectacular aura aboutfishnskiguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Jackson Wyoming trip next year

The Yellowstone River is a hundred miles from Jackson. The Snake River is a hundred yards away. The fishing in the Snake is great in late August, but beware. It is a big river best fished from a boat, but then, so is the Yellowstone.

I suggest you get a map and study it.

Chris
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I'm assuming you mean Yellowstone Park, not the river?

And you're staying in Jackson?

If you change you mind and stay closer to the park.. West Yellowstone, Cody, Gardiner or Cooke City.. easier to give recommendations..

August/Sept wouldn't be my 1st choice of dates, but neither would June - lol
Although it is dependent on runoff and the amount of water in the rivers.

Davo might have better recommendaiotns, and Larry is down that way too I think.

South Fork Outfitters is about 50 miles from Jackson
Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

flyfishmich: The others have given good advice. Davo is a member here and guides on the Snake out of Jackson, send him a PM, he can give the best advice on fishing in the Jackson area. As dhaden stated the Snake is a BIG river and best fished from a boat. I've only fished the South Fork of the Snake, below Palisades Reservoir over by Swan Valley, ID and it is BIG water. There are spots you can wade but you have to be very careful as the current is ripping by (not something to be messing around in), in the summer the normal flows are in the 10k-14k cfs range. There are some nice small streams in the Jackson area that Davo might be able to point out. The issue with WY is that the landowner owns the river bed so finding public access is a problem unless you have a boat. Fishing in the NP's or in Montana that isn't an issue. The Gros Ventre River is just north of Jackson in Teton NP, but I don't know how it fishes at that time.

Larry
Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

There are a lot of fishing opportunities in the Jackson area for both wade and float fishing. Hiring a guide and floating the Snake would be top suggestion. There are places to wade fish the Snake in Grand Teton National Park. Also near by are the Hoback, Gros Ventre, Greys and Salt River. Plus numerous rivers and creeks within driving distance up in Yellowstone.

Late August early September is a great time to be here. The fishing just gets better as Fall approaches.

If a guided trip or two is in your plans click the link in my signature for Upstream Anglers and contact the owner Greg. He can provide you with lots of recommendations for Lodging and activities in addition to fishing.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 PM

flyfishmich is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info everybody. I am not against a float trip. I don't want to come all the way out there and not feel a tug on the end of the line.

Davo, I will send a PM out to you but I am not coming out there until 2013. so I have time
Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishmich View Post
thanks for the info everybody. I am not against a float trip. I don't want to come all the way out there and not feel a tug on the end of the line.

Davo, I will send a PM out to you but I am not coming out there until 2013. so I have time
Got your PM and sent one back with more info. Never to early to plan a good fishing trip!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures