The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 PM

edwardo is on a distinguished road
Default Newby fishing in Colorado

I'll be camping in the Lake Isabel, Chatfield State Park, and Mueller State Park in late May and early June. I need some places to fly fish; more of a quantity than a quality type thing as I don't have a lot of experience. I've fished some in north Georgia, Tennessee, and at Yellowstone; only been fly fishing for a year. I'm looking for stupid fish, not old smart ones.

Also, can anyone recommend a guide at this late date for the Mueller area?

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Newby fishing in Colorado

You will be pretty close to the South Platte. The river is a "gold medal" water, which means it basically holds lots of big trout. The browns and 'bows aren't exactly "stupid," but it's a treat to fish. I've only fished the Cheesman Canyon section and the fish are reputed to be even more finicky than other South Platte locales. You can really put your fish-spotting skills to the test in the Canyon. The Canyon is very scenic and there is no road traffic noise in the background (which ruins the fishing experience for me personally). But, the Canyon requires a little effort to fish (short hiking and minimal rock and ledge scrambling). Try the flatter section near Deckers for a little easier fishing......it's all roadside and the fish are a little smaller but they're reported as being more easily fooled.

I would also head up to Spinney Reservoir. Lots of large rainbows up there. A float tube here is a good idea but you can also fish form shore as long as the 'bows are cruising the shores. Try evening fishing here. The bows will chase buggers, wooly worms, and drys.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM

joerouse is on a distinguished road

I agree... You'll be so close to the hogs at Deckers and Cheesman Canyon that it would be insane not to take at least 1 day to try to catch one for yourself.

But I do know what you're saying about quantity over quality/stupid fish. After being humbled by the technical complexity of the South Platte, head to any of the following places for a ego-repairing un-finicky trout smorgasbord of a day:

Bear Creek (Above Morrison - Lair O' The Bear Open Space is a good place to start)

Clear Creek (The canyon above Golden, or i -70 above Idaho Springs)

South Boulder Creek (Below Gross Dam.... Fished there today and it was outstanding!)

All these places are within an hour of Denver.

Have fun...
Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM

Thanks, these are the types of replies I was looking for. Wish me luck.

How is Tarryall Creek; easy/difficult?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Pm me if you're going to fish Bear Creek.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 PM

PM'ed you Nick.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I fished Tarryall this weekend. I didn't do so well but am still pretty inexperienced. I did manage to catch a few small browns on a dry dropper set up. Wind was atrocious but that is Colorado.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Well, I managed to fish in four different locations on my recent trip. Caught 3 small trout in Lake Isabel. Fished Deckers one morning with a guide; had 3 hookups but none brought to hand; it was very fun though. I tried Eight Mile, saw a bunch of fish, had a few strikes, but no hookups; they apparently didn't like what I was offering. I then tried the meadows just north of Lake George on the South Platte; caught 6 one day and 4 the next, each time in about 2-3 hours of fishing. I had several other hookups. I had a blast; I just wish Colorado was not so far from Alabama. I could really get addicted to this kind of fishing. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.