The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   colorado trip (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/279355-colorado-trip.html)

jw12 05-20-2012 09:17 PM

colorado trip

If i was to drive up from dallas for 4 days of fishing, what would be a good plan/route as far as what bodies of water to hit.

comeonavs 05-20-2012 09:42 PM

Re: colorado trip

Unless you can swing real wide to the Southwest in the durango area I dont think you will find much coming up I-25 til you hit Pueblo. Durango has the Animas, San Juan and several other trip of a lifetime waters. I would work my way up the Arkansas river. Then the South Platte holds some big fish, possibly go spend the night after that in Dillon / Silverthorne. Spend a day there you have the Blue in town, Colorado river 45 minutes away or the Gore or Eagle.

Cut Throat anglers in Dillon / Silverthorne is awesome. They can help and will when it comes to local waters.

mtboiler 05-21-2012 03:05 PM

If it were me, I would head straight north to Colorado Springs, hang a left to the south platte for day one, then spend the night in Frisco. Get up the next morning and either fish the Colorado, Blue or Gore. Head west and hit the frying pan or roaring fork day three. Day 4 depends on how far you want to drive to get home. You could go south to durango, a bit further west to the Gunnison but I would head back east and hit the Arkansas. That brings you back into the CoSprings area...and you just turn south and head home.

Of course this all depends on time of year...but those are pretty good starts.

joerouse 05-21-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtboiler (Post 452377)
then spend the night in Frisco. Get up the next morning and either fish the Colorado, Blue or Gore.

The itinerary above is spot on. In fact, I may just have to spend 2 days doing the same thing myself.

If it's on like it been on recently, I'd definitely head out to the Colorado, somewhere below Pumphouse, or maybe even the Parshall stretch. You could even do so for an afternoon/evening, after spending the morning on the Blue.

comeonavs 05-21-2012 08:52 PM

These guys have you right on track, fish up the rockies from the springs and then down the rockies from Vail. Heck bring a nice little 3wt and hit clear creek along hwy 6 heading down in to Golden and you will have made the best fishing loop in the state.

gheez Im jealous and I live here.

PS I fished Pumphouse on the Colorado Saturday and those fish were well fed and they hit hard. I had several 14" Browns bend my 6wt over like it was a 3wt. :surprise:

mike63 05-29-2012 10:13 PM

If you are going to fish near Colo Springs I would hit Elevenmile Canyon. Just head west on Hwy 24 to St George and hang a left at Starky's. Go all the way to the Spillway Campground, park and fish there and back down the canyon. It's picturesque, designated catch and release, and holds some big fish. South Platte though so they will not be jumping in the net. My only bit of novice advice is avoid the weekends. Mon-Thurs would be the ideal schedule and avoid July 4th. CO has more fly fishers per capita than any other state.

joerouse 06-01-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike63 (Post 456948)
If you are going to fish near Colo Springs I would hit Elevenmile Canyon. Just head west on Hwy 24 to St George and hang a left at Starky's. Go all the way to the Spillway Campground, park and fish there and back down the canyon. It's picturesque, designated catch and release, and holds some big fish. South Platte though so they will not be jumping in the net. My only bit of novice advice is avoid the weekends. Mon-Thurs would be the ideal schedule and avoid July 4th. CO has more fly fishers per capita than any other state.

Had some of the best days of the year at Elevenmile. If there, as mentioned, you've got to put at least some time in the water just below the dam. There are some Bows of a lifetime in that part of the river. Do take time to fish some other parts of the canyon though. There are plenty of fish down-canyon, but it's the views that will really knock you out.

I've been fortunate enough to have seen some beautiful landscapes over the years. Elevenmile Canyon, right here in my own backyard, still stands out as one of this planets truly magnificent places.