The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By comeonavs
  • 1 Post By mike63

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road
Default colorado trip

If i was to drive up from dallas for 4 days of fishing, what would be a good plan/route as far as what bodies of water to hit.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Re: colorado trip

Unless you can swing real wide to the Southwest in the durango area I dont think you will find much coming up I-25 til you hit Pueblo. Durango has the Animas, San Juan and several other trip of a lifetime waters. I would work my way up the Arkansas river. Then the South Platte holds some big fish, possibly go spend the night after that in Dillon / Silverthorne. Spend a day there you have the Blue in town, Colorado river 45 minutes away or the Gore or Eagle.

Cut Throat anglers in Dillon / Silverthorne is awesome. They can help and will when it comes to local waters.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

If it were me, I would head straight north to Colorado Springs, hang a left to the south platte for day one, then spend the night in Frisco. Get up the next morning and either fish the Colorado, Blue or Gore. Head west and hit the frying pan or roaring fork day three. Day 4 depends on how far you want to drive to get home. You could go south to durango, a bit further west to the Gunnison but I would head back east and hit the Arkansas. That brings you back into the CoSprings area...and you just turn south and head home.

Of course this all depends on time of year...but those are pretty good starts.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM

joerouse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
then spend the night in Frisco. Get up the next morning and either fish the Colorado, Blue or Gore.
The itinerary above is spot on. In fact, I may just have to spend 2 days doing the same thing myself.

If it's on like it been on recently, I'd definitely head out to the Colorado, somewhere below Pumphouse, or maybe even the Parshall stretch. You could even do so for an afternoon/evening, after spending the morning on the Blue.

I refuse to fish within sight of an outlet mall, no matter how big the fish are. Well, except...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

These guys have you right on track, fish up the rockies from the springs and then down the rockies from Vail. Heck bring a nice little 3wt and hit clear creek along hwy 6 heading down in to Golden and you will have made the best fishing loop in the state.

gheez Im jealous and I live here.

PS I fished Pumphouse on the Colorado Saturday and those fish were well fed and they hit hard. I had several 14" Browns bend my 6wt over like it was a 3wt.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

If you are going to fish near Colo Springs I would hit Elevenmile Canyon. Just head west on Hwy 24 to St George and hang a left at Starky's. Go all the way to the Spillway Campground, park and fish there and back down the canyon. It's picturesque, designated catch and release, and holds some big fish. South Platte though so they will not be jumping in the net. My only bit of novice advice is avoid the weekends. Mon-Thurs would be the ideal schedule and avoid July 4th. CO has more fly fishers per capita than any other state.
joerouse likes this.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 PM

joerouse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
If you are going to fish near Colo Springs I would hit Elevenmile Canyon. Just head west on Hwy 24 to St George and hang a left at Starky's. Go all the way to the Spillway Campground, park and fish there and back down the canyon. It's picturesque, designated catch and release, and holds some big fish. South Platte though so they will not be jumping in the net. My only bit of novice advice is avoid the weekends. Mon-Thurs would be the ideal schedule and avoid July 4th. CO has more fly fishers per capita than any other state.
Had some of the best days of the year at Elevenmile. If there, as mentioned, you've got to put at least some time in the water just below the dam. There are some Bows of a lifetime in that part of the river. Do take time to fish some other parts of the canyon though. There are plenty of fish down-canyon, but it's the views that will really knock you out.

I've been fortunate enough to have seen some beautiful landscapes over the years. Elevenmile Canyon, right here in my own backyard, still stands out as one of this planets truly magnificent places.

I refuse to fish within sight of an outlet mall, no matter how big the fish are. Well, except...