The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM

f1 rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help with guides in Durango CO

I took a trip the first week of November and used a great guide from Abe's for 1/2 day on San Juan and he stayed will me a few hours longer since fishing was good. I also spent 3 days just fishing the Animas in town which was fantastic. There is a little park right in town that I parked and a paved jogging trail that you follow under the bridge and can literally walk for miles and catch lots of fish. It was very convenient, maybe a 1 minute drive from downtown. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 PM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road

One more vote for Duranglers. The only time I've been fishing in Durango, they were very helpful as far as access and fly choice. Those guys have their local rivers dialed in and they spend a lot of time on the water.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM

Location: live in the south, but have a second home in Durango Co. Hope to be there full time some day!
troutcomegetit is on a distinguished road

Here is a snippet of tippit from a post I typed in another discussion: "Animas Valley Anglers is a topnotch guide service!The guys at Animas Valley Anglers are indeed some of the best in the guide industry. They do not have a store front, just a guide service. Will, the owner, always seems to build a custom trip for me and my angling partners. We end up on the best waters for that time of year. I try to get in two or three trips a year to southwest Colorado. We have fished the San Juan QW (mostly in the winter and spring) Animas, Dolores, Mountain Streams, Pine (fantastic private waters) and the Rio Grande. I have gotten to know these guys pretty well. I have fished with Will, Chris, Tim, Marc and Josh. They all have fished that area for what seems like forever, but are not old, grumpy or stuck in their ways. They have a young energy for so much experience. I think 2013 is their 13th season. Will has been guiding the region since '92 or '93. There are a couple new faces I noticed on their site and we will be meeting them in the next couple months. Knowing Will, they will be solid guides. Our second trip of the year will be on the San Juan, Root Pond, Dolores and Pine River some time in late April or early May. Still working on the details. Our first trip of the year was a few weeks ago. I based in Durango and fished the San Juan for two days and the Animas for one. The Juan fished well, but was impressed with the winter fishing on the Animas. Blown away by how big some of the fish were."
We fished private water on the Animas and it was great. I also have fished the public with these guys and it too was good. That is my experience...