The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 PM

biggerd is on a distinguished road
Default Help with guides in Durango CO

We had a cabin in Durango while I grew up but I have never done any fly fishing there. Heck I just started fly fishing a few months ago. Anyways we are heading up there at the end of July and I was looking for some one to take me fishing or even a guide. Who does everyone recommend? also what is the going rate for day of guided fishing or a half day of fishing?

Thanks
Drew
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help with guides in Durango CO

Hi Drew and welcome to the forum. If you don't get what your after on this forum you can try San Juan River Fly Fishing that is just down the road from Durango and some of the guides work that area.
good luck
Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

In the past I have used Duranglers (located right in town) for fishing the San Juan River and have used Abes located right on the San Juan, both outfits are really good. I've never fished any of the other streams in the area as I always seem to be down that way during spring runoff so the San Juan is the only option.
Durango Colorado fly shops, fishing guides and fishing report

Abe's Motel and Fly Shop
lightline likes this.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
In the past I have used Duranglers (located right in town) for fishing the San Juan River and have used Abes located right on the San Juan, both outfits are really good. I've never fished any of the other streams in the area as I always seem to be down that way during spring runoff so the San Juan is the only option.
Durango Colorado fly shops, fishing guides and fishing report

Abe's Motel and Fly Shop

My brother in law is from Durango and he always speaks real highly of Duranglers. I have visited the shop and they were very helpful / pleasant to deal with.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light

I just did a San Juan float the 7th with Chip from Aztec Anglers. He's a neighbor of my sister-in-law. I'm a beginner. First fish was a 22" rainbow and, in 4 hours, I hooked and landed over 10 fish, Chip minding tackle and teaching the whole time.

Of course, the rains helped with the ant fall...the fish were gorging.

Chip is highly recommended.

Bob

Last edited by lacanadio; 07-20-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

These guys were good to me. I did a half day walk and wade on some Animas private water. I was in town for a few days, so the guide showed me several very productive spots right in town. There might be some warm skinny water there at that time? If you call these guys they'll give you the straight scoop over the phone...

I'm sure Duranglers would too, btw. I shopped in their store and they were great too...good luck.

Animas Valley Anglers - San Juan | Animas | Rio Grande | Dolores - Guided Float and Wade Fly Fishing Trips
Old 07-14-2012, 10:55 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

I just came back from Durango fly fishing trip. I agree with what other gentlemen said about Durangler. They are nice and show you which flies will work.
But I know the place enough that I did on my own. First day I went down to San Juan river around texas hole and and fish around a place called kiddie pool. Fish are small but they bite. I went up to north to a place called upper main channel and caught about two fat 18 inchers. The key flies were size 26 inch midges. Second day I went up near a sky resort called Pergatory and fish streams around there. Actually I went to Cascade creek. We caught lots of brookies but hiking was hard perhaps because the altitude is high. You can use any caddis pattern or attractor pattern.

Having said that, I would recommend hire a guide from Durangler or any other fly shop because the two places i mentioned can pose some threats in terms of the depth of the water and wild animals up in the mountain. Speaking of cautions that you need to practice, there are so many mosquitoes in San Juan river and please bring a big bottle of bug spray. The sun is really strong so bring some sun cream as well. I am recovering from a big sun burn.

Another place I thought I should give a shot was Animas river. I was walking with my wife through downtown and looked down the river from a bridge and found some big fish lurking behind big rocks. Last year due to lots of rain the river was not fishable but this year water is low and appears to me that if you try some streamer pattern you may catch big trouts.

Have fun and stay safe.
codym likes this.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Tom Knopick and John Flick are top notch (owners)! Duranglers is a great example of a great fly shop.

Ask for guide Joe Kresl if you fish the juan.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:14 PM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

B,

These folks can get you pointed in the right direction, Duranglers too! -

San Juan River Fly Fishing

The entire area is fishing great, both in northern NM & southern Colorado.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Gary
Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM

alpobodog is on a distinguished road

I have hired a bunch of different guides and Chip from Aztec Anglers is my top pick.