The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By joerouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 05:18 PM

joerouse is on a distinguished road
Default Water's Up on the South Platte

Waters up to 240+ CFS on the South Platte through Deckers canyon and the fishing is on. Although some liked the lower water (As it been earlier this year), when your an ungraceful 240 lbs with size 13 wading boots, low water can be problematic.

Out of several fish, caught two rainbows that were particularly nice. (see pics below) On 6X, these were the kind of fish you don't reel in. You reel yourself to them.

Has anybody fished Cheesman Canyon since the water's been up?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
fredaevans and tbblom like this.

I refuse to fish within sight of an outlet mall, no matter how big the fish are. Well, except...
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Water's Up on the South Platte

Had a good laugh over your signature line, just went to Silverthorne for some outlet mall pig hunting yesterday.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 AM

The Blue is definitely one of the begrudging exceptions...

How were the crowds, by the way? I was on the S. Platte yesterday (Deckers and up in Cheeseman) and it was pretty bad.

I refuse to fish within sight of an outlet mall, no matter how big the fish are. Well, except...
Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Crowds were surprisingly small at both the Blue and the Frying pan. I think all the 'Fatherly' anglers are out camping with their families for the holiday. Although I did hit it friday afternoon to beat the crowd. I had the hole underneath the overpass and the glide above to myself for 3 hours straight!
Not many takers for mysis, but I had good luck with several #18-20 midge patterns (rainbow warrior, black thread midge, mercury midge with a wing tuft, etc.) and a few takes on hoppers and beetles. 1 take on a streamer that I didn't get a good hook set on. Ditch the indicator and use a hopper, you might be pleasantly surprised with a big fish rise.

nIce pics BTW, I haven't been to Deckers since my first year fly fishing (and I was pretty humbled). I need to get back up there to see how my 'skills' are coming along. Mind if I ask what was working at Deckers? PM me if you want to keep it quiet!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:33 AM

For me, success at Deckers comes from using tiny flies, and casting only when I see a fish. And when I do make a cast, I make sure that my indicator is as precisely set according to the specific depth each time.

I basically like to get right down stream from the fish, and cast (or almost put) my indicator a couple yards above the fish. (If your aware of where they are, you can get pretty close to these fish with out spooking them.) I'll do this until I've either caught or spooked em, (usually the latter) than move on.

I cannot tell you how much time I've wasted casting to "trouty" water all over Deckers without catching a thing. When I stopped doing this, and stayed with sight fishing only, my success improved 10-fold.

As for flies... Nothing you would find surprising. RS2s, Copper Johns, Ptails ect. Sizes 20-22 exclusively. . And I always use a bit more split shot than usual, because I like to get to the bottom asap.

Deckers, however, is one of those places where you can do everything right and have no luck. But just when you swear that your over the place, it delivers a day of fishing like few other places can. Like a good drug dealer, it knows how to keep you coming back.