The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tbacala

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 11:12 AM

joerouse is on a distinguished road
Default Grand County, CO - Off the Beaten Path

My wife's family recently purchased a cabin near Grand Lake (a rare point for team in-laws). I've already taken full advantage and fished the **** out of some of the better known waters in the area. (The Colorado and Frasier Rivers have been especially agreeable this spring. And Wooly Buggers in the afternoons on Lake Grandby....Oy Ve!) Where else should I be fishing up ther this summer?

Also...When I'm driving around Grand County/vicinity, I see forest access roads that I know have to lead to some high-mountain streams where Brookies and cutthroats await. I'd also love to find some small lakes for afternoon/evening dry fly action. (I used to fish Cameron Pass in N. CO quite a bit, and, if you know the area, I'm envisioning waters like Lake Zimmerman and Long Draw Res.)

Memorial Day crowds are keeping me away this weekend. But I'll be up there next week for a few days.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. (Feel free to PM)

I refuse to fish within sight of an outlet mall, no matter how big the fish are. Well, except...
Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Grand County, CO - Off the Beaten Path

Hi Joe,

I don't know the area there but a stop by at a good map store will pay off in spades (not much of a GPS fan for some things). Ask for an index map to locate the correct topographical quadrangles for the specific areas you are curious about. I like the 7.5 minute size and everything you will want will be on the maps.

Remember that if you manage to find your own little heaven with no one around you might want to think twice before you write about it on the 'net'. I always enjoy seeing pictures and hearing tales of success but cringe when the location is named.

Old School here, welcome to the forum I haven't replied on any of your post up till now.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-27-2012, 11:54 AM

joerouse is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. It's true, a good map goes along way. People forget about that these days. And there's something to be said for the joy of the hunt.

Know what you mean about keeping keeping too many details off the public forums. As one who not only enjoys, but can't live without time alone on the water, there are conversations that are best kept to PMs.

I also know that everything I've learned about fishing has come from other fishermen. My father and uncle first, but dozens of others - both friends and strangers - as I've gotten older. I wouldn't enjoy fishing as much as I do today if not for the advice and guidance of these people.

I think this forum is a great resource for those of us who love to fly fish. And the information exchange (when thoughtful and prudent) is far more beneficial than harmful to the fly fishing community.

Cheers!

I refuse to fish within sight of an outlet mall, no matter how big the fish are. Well, except...
Old 05-27-2012, 12:33 PM

tbacala is on a distinguished road

This site offers the best maps that I've been able to find on the Internet. In the top right corner you will see that it offers topo maps that have Forrest Service ans trails marked.

ACME Mapper 2.0
joerouse likes this.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I lived in Grand County for 8 years. Loved it up there. After you get over the remoteness and the 45 min drive to get groceries or to hit the Walmart, you're good. I lived on he south side of the county, just south of Kremmling.

I'll be honest, I didn't fish up there as much when I lived up there and I'm regreting it now.

But there's a lot of good fishing. I can only speak to the south side of Grand County but Shadow Mtn has a tailwater, the spillway is good for kokanee when the are running and the inlet at Green Mountain is great fishing. Also check out Muddy Creek. For some nice fishing and relaxing, fish around Hot Sulphur Springs, you can fish right in town, and then relax in the hot springs!

Of course, the Blue and the Colorado can keep you occupied for a day as well!