The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By monello
  • 1 Post By monello

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 06:38 PM

monello will become famous soon enough
Default Lewis lake YNP 5/27

Too windy and crappy to fly fish. I tossed hardware and was rewarded with 5 fish, 3 brown trout and 2 lake trout. I was pretty cold, wet and miserable the entire time but managed to hang in there for almost 5 1/2 hours. I'm still cold and stiff a few hours later. Looking forward to better weather the next time out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lewis lake YNP 5/27

Looks like a pretty productive trip despite the cold wx, congrats!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Man I miss that place.

I spent 3 months there working as a seasonal employee in the park. The only reason I took the job was to stay in the park.

I fished 24 times and caught 89 fish. Not the best place I ever fished but it had immense beauty. I got many stout cutthroats once Yellowstone lake opened for fishing.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Does Lewis Lake look like that all year? A couple years ago I took the pontoon boat up there at the end of Oct to fish the channel, I put in at the Lewis lake campground and motored across the lake with my little 4 hp outboard. No motors allowed in the channel, so I stowed the motor and started rowing up stream, I got in about a mile and a half and started getting worried about the wind as the lake was white capping behind me. So I decided to toss a streamer out and troll back toward the inlet beach where I threw streamers for about 40 minutes, caught 2-3 nice Browns then decided I better try heading back to the campground. The size of the waves had me worried about trying a direct crossing of the lake so I skirted around the shoreline on the west side until directly across from the boat ramp. The waves were coming over the top of the boat, but I had on a neoprene set of waders, a winter coat and wool cap so I stayed pretty warm, actually the water felt pretty warm for that time of year.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Does Lewis Lake look like that all year?
Those pictures are from May, 2012. We had a late blizzard that year. It was opening day and no way was I going to miss out on that. I was cold but loved it. I had waited a long time to get on that water. It snowed the entire time I was on the water.

The channel is a great place to fish. I also have a small boat. I rode it back from the boat launch to the inlet then rowed back. I got over a dozen lake trout back there. Nothing very big but steady action. I also go around the edges instead of heading into the open water. Seemed safer to me. Once Yellowstone lake opened up for fishing I didn't go back to Lewis lake all that much. Near the inlet is a good place to cast hardware. Lake trout seem to congregate there in the evening. It's not that far of a walk from the parking area. I'd go back for an hour or so and try my luck in the evening. I worked in the park with 1 of the concessionaires so I had lots of opportunity to wet a line that year.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:02 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

I've fished Yellowstone Lake many times, but never Lewis. Didn't realize there were Lake Trout in Lewis. Bummer.

Thanks for the posts. Now I'll have to pack a boat on the next trip.