The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 PM

matt153265 is on a distinguished road
Default Grizzly Bears?

How big of a problem does this issue pose and what precautions are necessary?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:08 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Grizzly Bears?

Are you asking about Montana, or where, Matt?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Mikel,

Yes, MT and WY. Primarily the Yellowstone area.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Speaking only for the US (lower 48), and just my 7/10ths of a cent

There's possible brown/grizzly bears in:

Wyoming/Montana/Idaho/Washington (according to FWS)

Look at the square miles of these areas and how few bears there really are.
Outside of YNP the counts go down real quickly

>>>
These are Northern Continental Divide (Montana), Yellowstone (Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho), Cabinet-Yaak (Montana and Idaho), Selway-Bitterroot (Montana and Idaho), Selkirk (Idaho and Washington), and North Cascades (Washington). The grizzly population in these areas is estimated at 750 in the Northern Continental Divide, 550 in Yellowstone, 40 in the Yaak portion of the Cabinet-Yaak, and 15 in the Cabinet portion (in northwestern Montana), 105 in Selkirk region of Idaho, 10–20 in the North Cascades
<<<

In YNP, in the bear areas, if you go off the beaten trails.. follow the advice for the park service.

We're getting commercials daily now, just to remind folks:

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Recreating in Bear Country

In Montana.. I'd guess you'd almost have to go looking for them. A few years back, we were fishing the Upper Gallatin, a ranger asked if we'd seen a grizzly. We hadn't. Evidently a gentleman and his 2 grandsons came across a sow and her cub... and the bears beat a hasty retreat.

I've never seen one outside of YNP.. and then only from the car, far away. And it was avoiding people as best it could.

Of course, there's always the exception.. but I'm sure lightening is a more of a threat than the bears.

Canada.. Alaska.. that's a different story . lol
Old 06-02-2012, 10:56 PM

No need for bear spray or bullets?
Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I once had to carve my way through a wall of Grizzly Bears with nothing but a Bowie Knife in my teeth and dragging my canoe behind me. (My apologies to W.C. Fields ) If you see one it would be a shocker. Unless you are fishing in Yellowstone, you would be hard pressed to find one. If you do find one just give it room and you should be fine. I would be willing to bet that better than 90% of the bears killed in 'self defense' were needlessly killed. If it makes you feel better to carry a gun, I'd at least carry one big enough to do more than make it mad.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt153265 View Post
If you are worried about them, carry some spray so you can relax and enjoy the fishing. I've been fishing in western Montana since the early 70's and never had any bear problems. The majority of that time was in the NW corner of the state that has some high bear populations. Two legged critters concern me a lot more than four legged .
Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt153265 View Post
If I go off trail in the park .. I carry bear spray on my belt.. if you're fishing.. I doubt there's anything realistically you could carry, you could get to fast enough.

I think all the research shows bear spray being more effective than a gun for the average person.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

I always love all the hype that people put on bears in the backcountry. I'm not saying there aren't bear attacks in the backcountry but the FEW ISOLATED INCIDENTS are so blown out of proportion, regular folks are convinced they must march out into the bush armed with a hand-cannon or have the $50 bear spray at the ready.

Just remember you are ten of thousands of times more likely to be injured or perish in a car accident on the way to your fishing trip. If you really are concerned for life, do all you can to protect yourself on the road. i.e. put the cell phone down while driving, don't exceed the speed limit, don't tailgate, check your tire pressure, watch other drivers and cars, pull over and nap if you are groggy behind the wheel, etc etc etc etc etc etc.

The real dangers in the backcountry are hypothermia, injury, and lightning strikes. Concentrate your efforts against these true threats and you'll be fine. And by all means, run a clean camp either in the backcountry or along roadside campgrounds. What alot of people call the "bear attacks in the backcountry" was really bears and people meeting one another in roadside campgrounds where people were running messy camps and pretty much inviting bears into their camp. And while in the backcountry, hang your food and your tent should be a good distance aways from your cooking and eating area.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:38 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I do carry bearsprey when hiking in the beartooths. while most the bears I encounter are black bears and normaly they want to stay away from you just as much as you do them.

I am more afraid of moose and bison in my area tbh. While I do hear storys of more grizzleys hanging out around the NW entrance to the park then the NE by me. So take the advice of dhayden and know the area your going to and ask the locals/park rangers in that area of what precautions to take.