The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 PM

kdeutman is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Trip to Colorado

A buddy and myself are heading to the Denver/Boulder area for a week at the end of the month and would like to do a lot of fishing while we are there. Does anyone have any suggestions of where we should start our journey? This will probably be the first time trout fishing so I am really excited. Also if someone could point me in the direction of a friendly fly shop in the area it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Kevin
Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to Colorado

I've been waiting for one of the Front Range members to chime in but since no one has I will start it off. For fly shops: Charlies Flybox is a great shop: Charlie's FlyBox - Metro Denver, Colorado's Best Fly Fishing Retailer (flyshop) with online Fly Tying Tutorials
In Boulder there is a great shop called The Front Range Anglers: Front Range Anglers | Boulder, Colorado Fly Fishing Shop and Guided Fly Fishing Service | Bringing People and Fish Together Since 1982
Just north in Longmont is the Laughing Grizzly, another great fly shop: Index
I don't know the local water around Denver that well. I've fished the South Platte between Spinney and Eleven Mile Reservoir (take 285 southwest out of Denver) or maybe Eleven Mile Canyon, but being your a beginner you might want to look at getting a guide. Maybe the Blue River below Dillion Reservoir in Silverthorn right at the shopping mall would be a good place to try. Further out on I-70 in Basalt is the Roaring Fork, lots of public access and that might be a better choice for a beginner. Stop at one of the local fly shops and get a river map that details the public access points, ask about fly patterns and buy a few flies for their help.
Another idea would be to hit some of the streams in Rocky Mountain National Park, just west of Estes.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Also try cutthroat anglers if you want to fish up in the Dillon Silverthorne area.

I second the front tange anglers recomendation, great great people
Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeutman View Post
A buddy and myself are heading to the Denver/Boulder area for a week at the end of the month and would like to do a lot of fishing while we are there. Does anyone have any suggestions of where we should start our journey? This will probably be the first time trout fishing so I am really excited. Also if someone could point me in the direction of a friendly fly shop in the area it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Kevin
Ck out this site Colorado Fishing Network

I'm no expert on the area ,but a few years ago My son, Daughter & me flew into Denver, rented a van & headed out to Glenwood springs. We stayed in the Red stone Lodge on the Crystal river & the water was low so the Crystal was a lot of pocket water in that area. We headed upstream & came on some good water outside of redstone. We went into Basalt To the Flyshop there & got info on the Frying pan & I fished it up by Canedensis bridge to the dam at Ruedi Reservoir. we fished the Roaring fork after getting access info from the same flyshop in Basalt. From there we went to Montrose & hiked around in the Gunnison Black canyon-Park. From there we went to Silverton for a tour & then down to Durango Co. We spent a few days in Mesa Verde Park ( a must see) & went to 4 corners so we could stand in 4 states at the same time .We took the train ride to Silverton for the scenery. From Durango I fished the Animas river for a day & drove down to The San Juan in New Mexico every day for the next 3 days while the 2 kids ( 21-22) went out sightseeing. We then just drove up to Colorado Springs to the A.F, Academy so I could show them around. We went back to Denver & ate at the Buckhorn Exchange & the next day flew home to NJ. It was a 3 wk. trip that I wanted to do with my kids before they got married etc. & on with their own lives & we still talk about it.
It was as much a sightseeing trip as a fishing trip & we did cover a lot of miles & saw some beautiful scenery but mostly from the van.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM

kdeutman is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm thinking the first day I get to boulder I will visit front range and see what they have to tell me. It's kind of overwhelming but I'm sure I can get things figured out when I'm there see it as I will be in no rush.

mcnerney your suggestions were very helpful. Are there any good places in Estes to fish because my buddy is set on going there?

I'm still researching places to fish. If I find a place I will run it by you guys.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 AM

rider14x is on a distinguished road

Hey Kevin, I agree with everyone else here. Give the guys at Front Range Anglers a shout, they are really great. That being said, I would hit South Boulder Creek if I only had one day around Boulder. The section just below Gross Dam is great and the hike is only a couple minutes long. The guys at FRA will probably direct you there or to Boulder Creek just outside of town. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeutman View Post
Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm thinking the first day I get to boulder I will visit front range and see what they have to tell me. It's kind of overwhelming but I'm sure I can get things figured out when I'm there see it as I will be in no rush.

mcnerney your suggestions were very helpful. Are there any good places in Estes to fish because my buddy is set on going there?

I'm still researching places to fish. If I find a place I will run it by you guys.
Yes, take a look at a map and you will see that hwy 34 goes from Estes to Loveland and it follows the Bib Thompson River, lots of public access places to fish and a very pretty area in the canyon. I can't help with fly suggestions as I have never fished it but have heard that it can be some good fishing. The fly shop guys can help you out in that department.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Check in with Rocky Mountain Anglers on Arapahoe in Boulder.... Great folks, and very helpful...They will put you on the right track for Boulder, Lyons, Rocky Mountain National Park, etc....
Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Rocky mtn. anglers in Boulder has always given me great advice on where to fish and what to use. No 'vagueness' about it... Tell them you are relatively new and they will set you up with something you can manage. FRA is nice, nice staff, but I find them to be a bit more secretive/general about fishing tips.

Times from denver/boulder area, All of these are 'gold medal' areas.
4h drive: If you can get to the Glenwood area, you are in fishing paradise between the frying pan, roaring fork, Colorado, and the Crystal. I think many would agree that the frying pan is one of the most scenic fisheries anywhere.

2h drive: Silverthorn, blue river down to green mtn. res. Drive further north to the Colorado. If you fish here talk with vitesse304, dude is a pro on that stream (his blogs are very accurate about flies etc.)

or, Drive up 285 to the the South platte near Deckers, Cheesman, or the dream stream higher up by Spinney and Elevenmile.

More seclusion,shorter drive, less crowds, smaller creeks:
Big thompson between from above estes park in Rocky mountain National park all the way to loveland. A guided session in RMNP could be awesome, lakes are melting out up high right now.
South Boulder creek below Gross res.
Clear creek canyon (hwy 6) out of Golden.
Poudre river out of Fort collins.
Boulder canyon out of Boulder.

You really can't go wrong. The destination fisheries require good presentations and flies of the correct size and look. Lots of educated fish and crowds, especially on weekends. If you want to go for big fish though, the gold medal waters is where to find them in abundance.
The smaller creeks will have stretches that you can have all to yourself. These are the places I have caught 25+ fish in a day, although not usually big ones.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

If you are going to Estes Park, be sure and hit Rocky Mt. Nat. Park. According to the thread next to this one, the lakes are fishing well.

Also, the Big Thompson River in the park can be fun.

Chris