The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM

tjmcu is on a distinguished road
Default Cody, Wyoming

I moved to Cody three weeks ago and will be here for the summer. I'm recently new to flyfishing (a few months) and I've gone fishing here three times by myself with no luck. I have been up in the Shoshone national forest and also in the canyon west of town. I was wondering of anyone has any advice or anything to offer. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 AM

deanm2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cody, Wyoming

Couple suggestions....I'm guessing you have already found North Fork Anglers and the other shop in town? Go check out the conditions and river report boards posted in those shops - maybe the waters you are trying to fish are in run-off making fishing tough anyway.

Secondly, not sure what waters you are fishing - but the NF Shoshone is a fairly big river. I would suggest finding and hiking to a much smaller, maybe a little more remote stream. Trout will typically be smaller, but also more aggressive. Drifts and fly drag is always important, but smaller remote streams full of aggressive trout are more forgiving and you can have some success while you improve/learn. The smaller water will be less intimidating in terms of picking out good runs, riffles, pocket water etc....typically easier to read the water. Easier to get nymphs to bounce along the bottom.....once you start having success on smaller water, pay close attention to what you have learned re: reading water, likely holding water and then carry it over to bigger waters.

Simply: just go - there is more water within a 2 hour drive of Cody than you can fish all Summer.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cody, Wyoming

You have moved to a wonderful spot.There is plenty of fishing in the area and i'm sure the local shops can help you out..