The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dhayden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 12:36 PM

wolverine33 is on a distinguished road
Default Floating the Upper Madison with my day

Hello,

My dad and I would love to rent a boat/raft to drift the upper Madison in a couple of weeks, but I'm a bit aprehenisve. I was just wondering how hard it is to float the upper for a couple clowns with very little experience on the oars (other than lakes)? Especially with my dad being in his late 60's - just wondering how much physical endurance it takes to float the upper. I know the river moves pretty fast, so I'm guessing keeping the boat slow enough to get a good drift takes some real effort. Maybe we could just use it as a shuttle? I also realize there will be a ton of boats floating during that time so maybe that could make it difficult too? We are willing to float later in the afternoon to avoid the floatillas if necessary.

I'm concernced about finding our takeout locations while floating, knowing the how long it takes to get to the takeout from any particular location, etiqutte with fellow floaters, etc. without any experience floating the river. The last thing I want to do is screw up guides on the river or miss our takeout

Anyway, just wanted to get your opinion if this is doable for us, or if we should just stick to wading. Any help you could provide would really be appreciated - I'd love to be able to float my dad down the river a few times and getting guides everyday isn't an option for us.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Of the two options... raft is more forgiving, drift boat more comfortable.. at least that's my opinion.

I also think the Madison is an easy float... depending on flows. There's really not that much physical effort required. Worst case you'll snap off more setups if you're nymphing just because you might not be able, or bother to row back up and free it.

For position.. although not perfect, I took my small Garmin 350, went by numerous take ins/outs and marked their locations. Works great for me

Whatever shop your renting the boat/raft from will recommend an easier drift for rookies.. it's exactly what I do.

If you rent a raft bring a couple waterproof bags to store rain coats etc.... you can almost guarantee a late afternoon shower..
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM

wolverine33 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Floating the Upper Madison with my dad

That's good stuff Dave...much appreciated. Little GPS is a great idea. Probably renting a 2 man raft from the west fork and will be staying at the west fork as well. Been going to the Madison for about 10 years solo, but always choose to wade. Looking forward to floating with the old man. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:35 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floating the Upper Madison with my day

Listen to this podcast:

The Madison

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floating the Upper Madison with my dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine33 View Post
That's good stuff Dave...much appreciated. Little GPS is a great idea. Probably renting a 2 man raft from the west fork and will be staying at the west fork as well. Been going to the Madison for about 10 years solo, but always choose to wade. Looking forward to floating with the old man. Thanks again.
If I may suggest a 'change in plan' on the size of the raft. Go for a 4 man; by time you put all your 'gear/cooler/what-ever in a 2 man they're little room for 'people.'