The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM

wildernessgirl44 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing in Medicine Bow National Forest

Good evening!
This is my first time fishing in the southern part of WY. I am unfamiliar with good fishing spots in this area. Does anyone have any suggestions? Looking to fish more of the Rivers than lakes near the cennential area, but willing to travel to anywhere for good fish.

Thanks!!
Wildernessgirl44
Old 06-17-2012, 08:01 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fishing in Medicine Bow National Forest

Ive only ever fished the North Platte as it goes from Colorado through the canyon in to Wyoming and it is great fishing.

Are you looking to fish the small streams in the Medicine Bow forest or the N. Platte ?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a Medicine Bow NF map and checkout French Creek and Douglas creek and of course as comeonavs stated the North Platte.
joerouse likes this.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Get yourself a Medicine Bow NF map and checkout French Creek and Douglas creek and of course as comeonavs stated the North Platte.
These two are exactly what the fly shop in Laramie told me, Ive just yet to go there Ive seen pics and it looks like a beautiful area
Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 AM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

I've never fished French Creek, but those who have seem to indicate that its your standard stream fishing where a 12 inch fish might be your best fish of the day. The plus is you normally never encounter any crowds.

I've fished the Douglas Creek, directly below Rob Roy reservoir, and caught many a small brookie, but again, the stream isn't big enough there to carry the larger sized fish. On the otherhand, where the Douglas pours into the N. Platte on the other side of the mountains, there you can catch some nice fish, and good numbers too. Also, the causeway below Rob Roy is fun to fish, and I've caught some 15 inch rainbows out of there.

If you're up for a drive, you can head over the scenic highway to Encampment River.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Something else worth looking at is the road between Encampment (hwy 230) and Walden, CO (hwy 125). As you drive that road you will see the brown public access points, very good starting points to hike into the North Platte for some great fishing.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM

wildernessgirl44 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all who have replied back! I appreciate it alot!!!

To answer your question about the smaller streams, yes I am willing to fish them if there is decent fishing in them.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

I can't help you with the smaller streams as my last attempt to get to the Bates creek walk in ended up with the car in a mud hole!
The Little medicine Bow River is on my list of places to fish but with the North Platte fishing so well it is hard to go explore!

Let us know how you get on.