The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default How are the fires affecting the rivers?

Anybody know how that massive wildfire is affecting the rivers? I assume the 11 Mile Canyon is pretty much shut down right? Is there anywhere else to look out for?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How are the fires affecting the rivers?

Even though there's no fire in the area, I'd leave Bear Creek alone. No runoff, no rain, hi temps are about to kill some trout. It's way low, way slow.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been out in awhile, how are the temps?

11 mile canyon is closed, Trout's fly fishing posted a notice on it. Rough year and I'm guessing the run off in the Spring will be bad where the fires are.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

I drove up Clear Creek Canyon today on the way to Blackhawk this weekend, and saw many anglers pounding the water. I drive the canyon often all year long. I don't track the official flows for CC, and although the flows are obviously low for this time of year........the creek looked to be moving well.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:07 AM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

Allegedly, the fire crews are working extra hard to keep the fire line away from jumping Elevenmile Canyon. There is a map online from Inciweb that shows the southeastern extent right against the canyon. Containment is around 50%.

Speaking of Bear Creek, which is off-topic, I drove up to Evergreen yesterday and it is running about 5cfs. Stopped and scouted - water is fairly warm and clear, and fish are abundant, but yes I believe it should be left alone until cfs goes above 15.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

We haven't had all that much rain up here in fort collins, so it hasn't affected the poudre river all that much, but earlier this month when we did get some rain we had three or four days of almost zero clarity with all the ash in the water. the banks are covered in ashy mud and in the slower sections as well. Flows remain on average around 75 cfs. The fishing in town remains great, as I hooked around 20 fish yesterday, and caught four or five tubers as well. Some of them were kind of hot. I imagine when we do start to get rain again the watershed will resemble cheeseman canyon.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:53 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrphoto View Post

Speaking of Bear Creek, which is off-topic, I drove up to Evergreen yesterday and it is running about 5cfs. Stopped and scouted - water is fairly warm and clear, and fish are abundant, but yes I believe it should be left alone until cfs goes above 15.
I had hope to do that yesterday, even had my thermometer in my car to check the temps. Went and fished somewhere else to give the fish a break but hope we get some rain to get the flows back up and slow the fires down.