The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 PM

biggerd is on a distinguished road
Default Durango

Well I am going to go do a full day with duranglers on July 23rd. I was hoping that someone could help out. Which river should I go to? Is it worth the extra few dollars to go float the San Juan in New Mexico?

Thanks for all the help
Drew
Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Durango

YES if you like fishing nymphs.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Is the San Juan worth traveling another 50 miles? Huh.....

Click the image to open in full size.

YES. This one was taken a week and a half ago by me, on a black ant pattern (yes dry flies work when you have the right one presented properly to feeding fish. This is the most active time of year for terrestrials).

This fish is representative of an average SAn juan fish, not even a big one.

With an estimated 20,000 trout per mile, the SJ is one of the most fertile rivers in the US.

With an average fish size of 17," the San Juan has some of the largest fish in the US. 30" Rainbows and slightly smaller brown trout are not unheard of.

The San Juan is no secret, so it will be crowded and during the summer fairly hot. You also might run into a lot of stockers, they put them in by the thousands and they grow to 16" within a year.

This fish was taken while wading. it is not necessary to float the river unles you really want to be guided and hook into even bigger trout.

Other options (for big fish): The Animas through Durango is an excellent river.
fredaevans and kayo like this.

Last edited by newby; 06-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:35 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Newby,

Curious about which section of the River you are pictured in? Thanks.

LIVE TODAY
Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

That's wright below the dam. Used to fish it back in the 80's. Brings back some nice memories. Nice rainbow Newby

Last edited by kayo; 06-24-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:43 AM

newtofly is on a distinguished road

The only advice I will give you is this.
Tell Duranglers what you want. Is it lots of smaller fish in a remote stream, most time on the water with guide to give instruction, or chasing that big'un? They have plenty of options on where to take you, and can put you on some fish regardless, but if they know what you are looking for then they will deliver and you will be happier about the day. Which in the end is what you are paying for.
Animas is excellent, San Juan is excellent, chasing streams north out of Durango is excellent. Tell um what you want to do.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM

KAYO,
Thanks, that is what I figured. Fished that water annually 1991 thru early 2000s, mostly below the Texas hole. Had hatches just below Texas once in awhile along with a couple of other spots on down.
Caught the largest in Death Row but there was excellent fishing in all parts of
the river we fished. Mostly 18-22 sized nymphs.

BIGGERD,
Newtofly has offered some good advice. Whether this time or later, would definitely recommend a San Juan trip eventually.
Wherever you decide to fish, you should have a good day.

LIVE TODAY
Old 06-24-2012, 03:21 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofly View Post
The only advice I will give you is this.
Tell Duranglers what you want. Is it lots of smaller fish in a remote stream, most time on the water with guide to give instruction, or chasing that big'un? They have plenty of options on where to take you, and can put you on some fish regardless, but if they know what you are looking for then they will deliver and you will be happier about the day. Which in the end is what you are paying for.
Animas is excellent, San Juan is excellent, chasing streams north out of Durango is excellent. Tell um what you want to do.
Execellent advice. There are MANY more choice than just the SJ and Animas. If you have time to fish on your own, the town water right in Durango gives up nice browns.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure how it will be in July, but for now I think your best bet would be the San Juan. There are currently three fires all 60 miles or less from Durango. My family and I had to leave a camping trip from north of Durango today because the smoke has been unbearable. Besides the San Juan will probably be the best fishing for sure.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 PM

biggerd is on a distinguished road

Thanks For all the feed back. I am going on the guided trip the first day and was going to take my nephew fishing on the other days we are there. I was thinking about the animas river but they told me the water was way low and by then it will be even worse. So I told them to just keep our options open and let the guide decide when we get there and not a month ahead of time. But I think I will be leaning more to the San jaun.