The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ghocevar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:37 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Clear Creek, Colorado - About as close to Denver as you can get

Hello;

I'm new here so I'll introduce myself - name's Chris, from Denver, and I'm quite literally addicted to flyfishing this spring. So far this year I've been to the upper Colorado about 6 times, Fraser and Williams Fork maybe 4 times, Cheeseman Canyon a few times, Dream Stream and Elevenmile Canyon 3 days, a dozen days on Bear Creek, Deckers area, and in and around Clear Creek who knows... yep, a [good] problem to have...

At any rate, I've had some free time so I'm taking advantage of it before Colorado dries up completely.

Getting back to the original post, I took the 3wt up a section of Clear Creek this afternoon that I thought I'd share as it's noteworthy for its proximity to downtown Denver (and my home in North Denver).

I parked off US 6 about 3/4-mile up from the 93/58 intersection, and hiked down to the river here which is rather precipitous, but there is a stairway, which is a nice touch in waders. Clear Creek is running about 180cfs, so it was moving along swiftly. The water clarity is gin-like, and cold - about 50 degrees.

Scouted a section where some runs and riffles may hold fish, and sure enough right at the gaging station (which is not listed on the CDWR website), got into a half dozen browns on a 18 caddis flashback about 7' off the indicator. Average size was probably 6"; not huge by any measure, but the fact that I was 15 minutes from home makes it all worthwhile.

I would imagine this stretch will continue to produce similar results for awhile, as the deep runs are significant, and larger fish have a tendency to move upstream where the river widens up. The takeaway here is that if you have an hour to spare, you can certainly entertain yourself, and get into some action.

One note of caution: There isn't a single round boulder or sandy bottom in the riverbed, making wading a treacherous exercise. The swiftwater could take you downstream very quickly so be aware of your footing.

Here are some photos of the area:
Click the image to open in full size.

Tight Lines
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Clear Creek, Colorado - About as close to Denver as you can get

Browns on a 3 weight are always fun.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great to have such a nice little stream so close to home with some beautiful browns.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-12-2012, 06:59 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Denver is good times....and even better when you are that close to fishing.
williamhj likes this.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 PM

vader33 is on a distinguished road

I love fishing Clear Creek. I'm from Littleton, and I'll be heading up to Georgetown tomorrow. Great photos. The Clear along US 6 is beautiful. Sadly though, it's been rather slow goings...at least from Golden to Blackhawk anyway...