The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Skunked on the Big Thompson

Pounded it for about a half day on Sunday, nothing happening, first skunk outing of 2012. Used a dry dropper rig and nymphed a couple 2-fly rig set-ups for several hours and worked a couple half mile sections of the river near turnouts a few miles above Drake. Ticks me off. Perhaps the near 100 degree temps had something to do with it.

Saturday was better, fished a private lease on the North Fork near Drake and was able to catch a few small browns and a 20 inch rainbow. Hate to get skunked though.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:50 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Skunked on the Big Thompson

I believed that I had a local lake pretty dialed-in before inviting a friend out. I assured him that we would both catch fish easily.
Skunked... both of us.

Big T gets pounded pretty good, heat won't help either. Maybe lots of split shot? I know that some of the bigger browns in there will take streamers if all else fails. Sunday is always rough too, after friday and saturday pressure.

My favorite recent 'easy' carp spot has clammed up significantly. I got skunked two days, finally hooked up this morning and got broken off when the big boy ran into some thick weeds A lucky bass saved the day!
I say go for species that appreciate the heat
Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 PM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

It happens to the best of us on the Big T. I have been skunked there too many times to remember!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:05 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Skunked on the Big Thompson

Nobody likes getting skunked but it happens to all of us from time to time. I got skunked yesterday on the little red river here in Arkansas.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 PM

stormcrow is on a distinguished road

With the rain they were letting a lot of water out of Lake Estes and that increase in flow can put the fish down. Whether the flows are low or high, trout seem to like stability. That's one thing to blame. BigT has been getting more pressure than normal due to issues the fire and flooding aftermath in the Poudre.

But like others have said, some days we end up just fishing and not as much catching. I remind myself that when things are working, to change things up. Don't be afraid to do the "wrong thing". Ed Engle discusses this in his book - being unconventional can often surprise you. If there are no rising trout, no noticeable hatch or surface activity and every clue indicates that you should be nymphing deep, but that isn't working, then tie a dry fly on, or a streamer and go against conventional wisdom. If conventional wisdom isn't working, then what do you have to lose ;-)

Use it as a chance to try something new or a technique you're not yet confident in - use it as a practice session.

I love it that even the most accomplished anglers write about getting the skunk - at least the honest ones do. We all experience it from time to time. And strangely it will cause you to want to get back up there sooner than if you had an incredible day.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Being skunked is just part of fishing, I don't remember being too upset by it happening. This might sound like a bunch of tripe but I quit pounding water trying to make something happen many years ago. I've spent a lot of time studying rivers and creeks when noting seemed to be happening as far as catching was concerned. There are many places here where I live that could make you think there are no fish in them on any given day. What seems to be the case more times than not is that given certain conditions the fish move around and sometimes they just are not going to be caught.........

Times like this are when being interested in or developing an interest of rocks, minerals, wild flowers, birds and bugs is a virtue. When a fish is not interested in feeding and we repeatedly show that fish fly lines - leaders & flies, we are just helping the fish to understand that these things are not good. Sometimes sitting is the best way to enjoy the river.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

Well said Ard......being skunked is just part of fishing.

I fish the backcountry quite a bit, and being skunked on unfamiliar waters is a common occurence for me. When the winds are screaming or the cutthroats and goldens disappear to the depths of a lake, you just make due enjoying the scenery, viewing flora & fauna, or maybe bagging a nearby walk-up peak. Since I am now starting to hunt for golden trout in distant locations, being skunked is just par for the course sometimes. On many backcountry trips in the last few years, I've shouldered a pack, walked 20 miles past dozens of lakes loaded with small cutts and brookies just to get to a target area rumored to hold large goldens. Then I get there, and come up short for 3-4 days. It can be maddening but it's part of fishing the backcountry.

It can frustrating being skunked, but when you are on a river or lake and you just can't miss, it just makes those times that much better. Ying and Yang
Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 AM

heck will become famous soon enough

The Big Thompson is some gnarly water too and the public access is very public (high volume of people usually) I have had a few chances to fish that stretch with little success except the tailwaters in estes park where I have pulled in some enormous hogs, thanks to my experience on the taylor tailwaters here in Gunnison, CO, i think (could just be an enormous amount of luck as well) if in the Fort Collins/loveland area you would be surprised with the amount of lakes in town pith some remarkably BIG Large mouth bass which can be an exciting day as well and your not going to get skunked (although it happens to the most e;experienced angler), the last time i was out there about a month ago I pulled in 102 Large Mouth Bass over 1lb in five hours, never happened to me before with any species anywhere and it was well, AWESOME!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by heck View Post
if in the Fort Collins/loveland area you would be surprised with the amount of lakes in town pith some remarkably BIG Large mouth bass
You have any favorite lakes in this area? I'm a big fan of Dixon in Fort Collins for some large mouth bass. But it has been running low and last couple of times I was out there nobody was eating.

Heard Watson and Horsetooth can be decent, but I haven't personally had a lot of luck on those lakes.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Also, if you think that patterns might be a problem with your big T fishing, you might think about buying some from this guy. He sells a dozen flies for current conditions on local rivers.

Custom trout flies for fly fishing Northern Colorado | Liarflies

I took a beginning anglers class this weekend and the guide turned me onto these flies. Did better than I have ever done on the Poudre and we just used two patterns of dry. Of course a little direction, was priceless for me.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM

heck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderninja View Post
You have any favorite lakes in this area? I'm a big fan of Dixon in Fort Collins for some large mouth bass. But it has been running low and last couple of times I was out there nobody was eating.

Heard Watson and Horsetooth can be decent, but I haven't personally had a lot of luck on those lakes.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Also, if you think that patterns might be a problem with your big T fishing, you might think about buying some from this guy. He sells a dozen flies for current conditions on local rivers.

Custom trout flies for fly fishing Northern Colorado | Liarflies

I took a beginning anglers class this weekend and the guide turned me onto these flies. Did better than I have ever done on the Poudre and we just used two patterns of dry. Of course a little direction, was priceless for me.
Im not exactly sure what the name of the lake was that i had that great day but the biggest Bass I caught there was at loveland lake in loveland. Ill def look into that tier and see what he is about sounds like a good deal when in the area!