Williams Fork River tailwater temperature

cgrphoto

Reaction score
Went up to the Colorado at Parshall yesterday. Got into some good fish just upstream from the bridge in the am, but decided to do the hike to the Williams Fork in the afternoon. Water temp was 48° and the cfs around 240, totally surprising to us as the Colorado was registering about 66-68°. We tried fishing a few riffles but realized it may be a lesson in futility given the water temps;

I guess the 2 questions are: 1). Is the Williams Fork reservoir deep enough to maintain that cold water even with air temps around 85-90 for weeks? and 2). I've heard that most species of trout become very inactive below 50°, can anyone else confirm this? Thanks in advance for any insight into this supposed productive fishery.

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
Went up to the Colorado at Parshall yesterday. Got into some good fish just upstream from the bridge in the am, but decided to do the hike to the Williams Fork in the afternoon. Water temp was 48° and the cfs around 240, totally surprising to us as the Colorado was registering about 66-68°. We tried fishing a few riffles but realized it may be a lesson in futility given the water temps;

I guess the 2 questions are: 1). Is the Williams Fork reservoir deep enough to maintain that cold water even with air temps around 85-90 for weeks? and 2). I've heard that most species of trout become very inactive below 50°, can anyone else confirm this? Thanks in advance for any insight into this supposed productive fishery.
Trout get a little less active in colder water, but I have caught a lot of fish in 35 deg. water in March and November here in Colorado. I don't think cold water was your problem, but flow rate may have been. The Williams Fork fishes best at around 100 CFS.

Chris

williamhj

Reaction score
I think fish in tailwaters where the temps stay pretty low adjust and are active in colder water. But the temps into the mid and upper 60's is getting dangerous, best to not fish.

cgrphoto

Reaction score
But the temps into the mid and upper 60's is getting dangerous, best to not fish.
Yes, absolutely. There are some voluntary fishing bans going on right now for a few streams and rivers in Colorado.

My question is would the State announce a ban on fishing altogether along Gold Medal stretches if the temps got above say - 70° at the height of the day?

I have to say maybe fishing the upper Colorado may have been a mistake on Thursday. I would be hard pressed to walk up and down the stretch and share with 20+ fishermen to pull in their lines.... maybe there needs to simply be more awareness of this issue...