The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 01:41 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Some montana trout

Everyone seems to love Montana, and i dont blame them. The fishing right now is awesome. Here are some trout to look at. Enjoy

First fish of the day
Click the image to open in full size.

First brown of the day.

These fish are all stocked but its hard to tell.

My friends first brown on a fly

A big whitefish. Some of them had us trying to remember the record.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-07-2012, 01:47 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Some montana trout

Verrry nice...what a great way to spend the day! I'll be there in Sept. Seems like an eternity to wait...-m
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Good day. Where are you fishing? You don't have to say if it's a special spot, just curious because Montana doesn't stock trout in many rivers anymore.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:20 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road

Ive fished in Idaho before and it was always a let down when you thought you had a nice trout and it turned out to be a whitefish.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Dont hate on whitey! I mean its no trout but it is a greyling species and to me when you get a 16" whitefish on its a fight, even if its not as hard as a same sized brown. Not to mention these guys will save you on a cold spring day untill you do catcha brown/rainbow and its that much sweeter!

BTW I cought my fist whitefish on a streamer in a local tailwater this spring. I wasent aware they would take a streamer. So when I caught 20 whitefish on a dry, nonbeadhead nymphs and streamers in 40 degree weather in one day im happy... Whitey has a Bad rap? I think so.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I totally agree shorty. Whitefish get a bad rap. They save many fly fisherman's days and the big ones can give you a good fight.

I don't understand why some call whitefish trash fish. Whitefish are good indicators of the health of a stream. They can only live in the cleanest streams unlike trout.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-14-2012, 05:42 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

A whitefish is a whitefish is a whitefish. It is a salmonidae, or in the trout family. Grayling are also salmanidae.

Mountain Whitefish - Montana Field Guide

When your trout fishing, you just have to accept catching some whiteys. I can usually tell within 3 seconds of hooking one that it is whitey, so the disappointment factor is low. But the other night I casting to rising fish all around me on glassy hole of the Clark Fork; I drifted my parachute over a close riser and was pretty surprised to find it was whitefish, and decent sized one. I counted that one as legitimate catch that night. When you nymph one after the other, then I get frustrated.

But (rolled up and) smoked, they are tasty little suckers!

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
I don't understand why some call whitefish trash fish. Whitefish are good indicators of the health of a stream. They can only live in the cleanest streams unlike trout.
I agree 100%. They are, most of time, the only native fish in most Montana streams.
dharkin and shortyb like this.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
A whitefish is a whitefish is a whitefish. It is a salmonidae, or in the trout family. Grayling are also salmanidae.

But (rolled up and) smoked, they are tasty little suckers![COLOR="Silver"]
Always good to learn something new. When reading about whitefish when i first started fishing I ran across a few pieces talking about them as closely related to Grayling. I guess you cannot call them than in Montana to be confused with Arctic Grayling. Which I have only caught a few but I know there is similar features with both and assumed they were of the same family (which they are) but figured they are more like each other than other salmanidae.

Whitefish are more than trout angler’s consolation

The awesome color of a arctic graylings dorsal makes graylings one the coolest fish to have on a fly imo. My first was out of the bighole area, then another out of west rosebud lake and that its VERY RARE to actually catch one out of that watershed. Very very cool fish to admire.

I agree that our Mountain whitefish are great eating too. Since every one considers them trash fish no one seems to glare at me for keeping 1 or 2 now and then. Though I do practice catch and release for the rest