The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 PM

bmfa is on a distinguished road
Default Hello all you Jackson Hole anglers. Have a quick question..

Hey there, Coming on up to yourneck of the woods 1st week in August from Colorado. My son has been working in YNP for the summer and we're picking him up and bringing home for college "CSU". Anyways, gonna stay away from Yellowstone this time and concentrate on Grand Tetons N.P. My question is if you had 1 day to impress you're oldest fishing buddy who has'nt fished the area where would you take him.. I'm not looking for your honeyhole. Just want a total experience "scenery, rising trout and to be relaxed". I have 4 days vacation coming and 18 hours of it is driving time to Yellowstone then home here in Colorado. My wife is also a flyfisher but hates nymphing which is 90% of our fishing here. She love dries and can outcast most of the men I know. Sorry if I'm rambling on here. Our rivers down here are in horrible shape with all the wild fires then the monsoon rain we recieved over the weekend. The Poudre is running black as oil and I'm afraid we're gonna have a massive fishkill because of all the debris and ash that is in the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated If not I totally understand
Thanks and Tight Lines Guys, Bob in Fort Collins
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello all you Jackson Hole anglers. Have a quick question..

Bob: You might also send a PM to Davo (he is a member here and also guides on the Snake) as he can give you some insight into the fishing around Jackson.
Also take a look at this report on the Gros Ventre river just north of town.
Beginner at Gros Ventre

Here is another Jackson area request for information that might provide some insight. Jackson Wyoming trip next year

Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM

Thanks mcnerney,
Davo has'nt responded yet. Been doing a little investigating and I'm thinking maybe the Gros Ventre and Flat Creek, as well as the Snake are on my list.
Bob
Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 PM

rusty_r is on a distinguished road

bmfa,

There is loads of good water here right now and will be in to August. If I were to want to impress a friend with the things you described I would take a drift boat float trip from Pacific Creek to Deadman's Bar on the Snake. There are plenty of fish, very relaxing, and the scenery is incredible. During the entire trip you are floating in Grand Teton National Park and can see the Tetons. Hire a guide service as this is not an amateur stretch of river with snags and strainers. Its an awesome trip.

If wading is more your style the fishing is a little more limited here. Flat Creek on the Elk Refuge opens August 1. There are large cuts under the grass banks that don't see a fly until August 1. Its a very spring creek like stretch of river with tough sight fishing but the rewards can be huge. Start at the closest access to town and work your way north up-stream. This can be done in an afternoon or just for a couple of hours. Have terrestrials, mayflies, and attractors on hand. You will not be fishing alone.

The Gros Ventre is also another good river to fish. It is a very long river with all sorts of characteristics. Below lower slide lake has a short pocket water section and then riffles and runs. I have lived here for 20 years and have not yet explored the entirety of that river. Drive the Gros Ventre road and pick a spot.

Send me a PM if you have specific questions.

Russ

Last edited by rusty_r; 07-20-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Sorry I've taken so long to respond. Rusty-r pretty much nailed it!! The Gros Ventre is a little low right now but should still have good water as you go up above Kelly. The pocket water below Lower Slide Lake is really good, be sure to have plenty of hoppers.

The float he recommended is a good one as well, as are all the various sections. For wading the Snake I'd go to the Schwabackers landing area above Moose.

If a little driving is in you schedule you can also hit the Greys river down in Alpine. Good wading and holds some nice fish!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 AM

Thanks Davo and Russ for all the insight. Getting pretty anxious to get up to your neck of the woods. The weather down here in Colorado has been a bit on the unpleasant side. I'll let ya guys know how we do when we get back.