The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 01:39 AM

blizake94 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing trip help!

First off hello, y'all have a great forum and I am very glad to be a part of it. I wanted to start of my experience by asking a question. In 5 weeks I will be on a plane flight from Austin, TX to Nashville, TN to attend college, and I want nothing more than to take a fishing trip with my father before I go. Only problem is, I have already gone on an extremely expensive hunting trip this summer (dove hunting in Argentina, incredible BTW!!!!) so it needs to be an easy trip. I was wondering what the very best place (in your opinions)was to go that can be driven in a day from Austin, Texas. I am a very novice fly fisherman, and so I was hoping for a place that we could at least use a guide one day and get some good spots out of it. Any suggestions helpful!! Thanks in advanced!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing trip help!

Couldn't you go bass fish in the Hill Country? As I recall, a day from Austin barely gets you out of the state! How far is Southern Colorado? Maybe the Arkansas River? The San Juan is in New Mexico, don't know how far from Austin though.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:51 AM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

How about the guadalupe river to the south of you. It is in the top 100 trout streams in the US and there are some nice trout in there. There was a show by trout unlimited on the rise for the stream, they where all large fish, just all stocked fish.

Check out this link, should give you a general idea, looks like alot of pay to play water. Guadalupe River Fly Fishing | The Guadalupe Fly

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 PM

blizake94 is on a distinguished road

The San Juan river is 15 hours from Austin, so it is very doable. And yes I realize that the Guadalupe is a good spot, it is just that I was initially looking for something that was different from what we had done before, something more adventurous if you will. How about suggestions of anywhere in Colorado, Texas, and New Mexico. Has anyone taken any guided trips they would recommend?