The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By countr21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default RMNP greenback fun

Just got back from a short-but-sweet visit to one of my favs on the east side of RMNP. The weather was spotty, but the fishing wasn't. In between downpours and thunderstorms, I caught about 20-25 perfect little greenbacks in two days. Typical of many RMNP high lakes, the outlet and inlet fished very well, but I took fish from all around the lake.

As usual, my best stretch of luck was the evening hatch. I fished until last light. It was dry fly paradise even during some of the windy conditions. The major player was the griffith's gnat but I also took fish with a black ant and a black shine beetle. All day long, the water was pretty much boiling with rises all around the shoreline in between downpours.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 AM

hexx is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RMNP greenback fun

Beautiful fish and what a place to catch 'em! I have been scraping, plastering and painting non-stop for a few days in what feels like an oven, but in reality is the house I am trying to sell to facilitate my move to fishier climes- til then, KEEP THE PHOTOS COMING EVERYONE! I won't see the real thing til fall...
Old 08-02-2012, 02:54 PM

stormcrow is on a distinguished road

Very nice Countr21! Thanks for the trip report. I'm headed to Odessa lake in RMNP on Sat. I see that you lugged your waders and boots. I always wish for them but never bring them because of the weight. Noticed your Korker Chromes - same boots I have - was surprised to see you with them in the back country. You don't hike in them do you? Trying to figure how you made room in your pack for them. I recently got some Simms flats boots that I use for float tubing and I'm going to bring them and try wet wading with them. I barefoot waded at Ouzel lake on July 4th and it was kinda painful due to the cold water and the rocks. Advise on hauling waders/boots into backcountry?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:18 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

When I am gonna do just a one or two night trip, I leave behind quite a few luxury items, extra clothing, and I go very basic on food and cookware. So this frees up space and weight in my pack. I believe my boots and waders weigh between seven and eight pounds. Even with the added weight, the pack is still very manageable. And they are just packed into the bottom of my pack. The Korkers get socks and small items stuffed into them, and the waders are a lightweight version and pack up about the size of a big loaf of bread. They're just a cheap Cabelas wader.

On extended trips of 5-9 days, I definitely leave the waders and boots behind. But I have a pair of North Face river shoes that only weigh 1.5 pounds and they go with me on the longer trips. They serve two purposes: stream crossings on the trail and wet wading on warm afternoons.

I'm actually headed out the door now to do 6-7 nights in the Winds. I'll be hunting for goldens in the Popo Agie Wilderness. I hope they're in the shallows and not down deep like they have been all summer so far.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

That's good stuff right there...was up at those lakes last year in RMNP and had a blast. Is that Dream Lake you were at?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:18 AM

stormcrow is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice Countr21. I hope your trip to the winds is great. I love that place - have made 3 trips into the winds, all in the southeast region entered through the scab creek drainage. The lakes around that part don't hold goldens (that i know of) and i've been looking to get back to hit some of the lakes that do.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

and an early welcome to the colorado front range Hexx. You'll love it here. I grew up here and will never leave.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:43 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

FANTASTIC! Thank you.

That's two high country posts in a row now that have me extremely jealous... in a good way!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Gorgeous trout ! Nice pics. Thanks !
Nobodys got that palette of colors like Mother Nature does.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
That's good stuff right there...was up at those lakes last year in RMNP and had a blast. Is that Dream Lake you were at?
It's not Dream, but the lake is on the east side RMNP. I would pinpoint this lake but my favorite greenback lake is in the vicinity so I should keep it under wraps.

One good greenback lake that I would recommend and that you rarely hear about is Sandbeach Lake. It's very scenic with Mount Meeker and Longs Peak standing sentinel above its beach-like, sandy shores. It is easily reachable by a short (but steep) hike of only 4.5 miles, and it is absolutely loaded with 8-12" greenbacks. There are of course many other great greenback lakes on the east side, but Sandbeach is one of my favorites because of its accessibility and amazing action.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
It's not Dream, but the lake is on the east side RMNP. I would pinpoint this lake but my favorite greenback lake is in the vicinity so I should keep it under wraps.

One good greenback lake that I would recommend and that you rarely hear about is Sandbeach Lake. It's very scenic with Mount Meeker and Longs Peak standing sentinel above its beach-like, sandy shores. It is easily reachable by a short (but steep) hike of only 4.5 miles, and it is absolutely loaded with 8-12" greenbacks. There are of course many other great greenback lakes on the east side, but Sandbeach is one of my favorites because of its accessibility and amazing action.
I'll have to check that one out. Hit a new (to me) one with my brother this weekend. With his truck may of the steep, rocky hikes have turned into bumpy 4x4 drives right to the mountain lakes.