The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Magical day on Cutthroat Crick

I had the day off today. I love having a Monday off, because it's all mine! And you know what to do with a day that's all yours in mid-July...

I've been looking forward to heading out to my favorite stream in the area, I hadn't seen it yet this season. And I wasn't disappointed. I caught fish, a lot of really nice fish, and many on flies I received in recent swaps.

The water was perfect; cold, clear and at an ideal level. The holes on this river are deep blue-green but when the runs and riffles are still 30" deep, that is where the fish are. I was on the water by 10:00am and fished a PMD for an hour or more and saw no fish. I was happy and fishing patiently, it was just a perfect day. I knew I had to nymph until some bug activity happened. I went to my box and picked out the Rainbow Prince that I received from Ant in a swap two winters ago and bam. Fish one. And another, this was a real nice rainbow, at least 16" and thick. Very nice for this stream.
Click the image to open in full size.

Next cast I set again and this fish was a rocket. All the fish I caught today were solid and tireless. But this fish went on sprints and held it's ground. When I finally netted it I was thrilled. It was another pure rainbow, and bright slab. It was easily 18" if not close to 20". A stunning fish that escaped the net before I clicked the shutter.

I landed 4 or 5 fish in that hole, on that one nymph.

A 17" Cuttbow

It doesn't look like much here, but that's my honey hole, till next time...

I ate lunch back the car and let my feet warm from numb to cold whilst I enjoyed a beer at 1:30. Heaven.

When I got back to the river the Drakes flying, big greenies and mid-sized browns. I rose and landed a couple fish and felt good about getting some fish on top. Then a couple more. I switched up flies and tied on one of the beautiful acrylic ants that I received from Silvercreek in our recent terrestrial swap; trailed behind one of my many Turk's variants I've been loving lately. First cast, cutty rolled on the Turk's. Nice typical cutthroat for here.

Then on the ant!

Honestly, at this point I was sated and nearly walking on the water. But there was the amazing hole that I tried to fish with dries when I stared and then the nymph on my way to lunch, but the water moves through in that way that makes it impossible to get good drifts. It was screaming for a streamer. I pondered my streamer wallet and picked PAB's Slumpbuster from the winter small streamer swap. Second big swing through, at the bottom of this great piece of water I felt the pull. This fish was heavy and mad and ran hard enough fast enough down the fast current that I actually ran after it little bit. If it would have decided to keep running downstream, I could have been in trouble. But I stopped it and after one last long fight, brought this beautiful cuttbow to the net. Orange/copper slabs and green back. An honest 17" fish.

Lucy the fish spotter on one of it's leaps.

Landed in the rocks.

This picture looks bad, but trust me, I wasn't trying to drown it! (And I wasn't giving her the "death grip"). She got out of there fast when I let go.

Some days everything seems to come together, and today was perfect. I felt like I used everything I've learned in that last 15 years today. I was more satisfied than I've been after a day fishing in long time. But I was still sad to step out of the water.
jpbfly, countr21, bmfa and 3 others like this.

Last edited by dean_mt; 07-17-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: grammatical
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Magical day on Cutthroat Crick

Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Very nice day by the looks of it. Gotta love those native fish.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

My goodness, that looks like paradise. When the sun is on your shoulders, you're catching fatty cutts, and you got a friend by your side (dog)......life just doesn't get much better.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your day. You deserve it

p.s. Is this a native westslope cutt stream???..........I'm jealous of your home location
Old 07-17-2012, 01:00 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks guys.

Countr...I did deserve it! We all do! Thanks, and yes, it's a big tributary and an important Westslope Cutthroat and Bull Trout trib, though I've never caught bull there. I can't remember every catching a brown either. Mostly cutts and rainbows and a lot of hybrids of course.
countr21 likes this.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful specimens and fine pics! Better skip work tomorrow! milt.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:32 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Im with milt time to play hookie and hook into some fish.

Dean great pics man looks like you had an awsome day!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dean: I'm jealous! Great trip report, photos and fish!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Nice looking spot. Too bad about all the rainbows, it won't be a cutthroat crick forever...
Old 07-17-2012, 08:21 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Dean, that is great stuff there my man!

I am trying so hard to make it to Bozeman for the rest of my life.

Nice.