The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 PM

frontranger5280 is on a distinguished road
Default Clear Creek (Idaho Springs)

My brother in law came to town to visit so I figured we head to a local fishing ground to see if we couldnt wrangle up some trout. This was my first time fly fishing this river and was pleasantly surprised. We both had a great day. Did dry flies from about 230pm through sun down and I landed about 12 browns and he was at about 8 or 9. Nothing huge to write home about but was definitely a lot of fun. Kaufmann Stimulator (Green) was striking all day long. Definitely want to go back and see if I cant find some better holes with maybe some bigger fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clear Creek (Idaho Springs)

I've got some holes I like and some more I want to explore, including one trib. Have the day off tomorrow and hope to head out there. Looks like a nice day on the water
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I have never fished clear creek because when I lived in Morrison and Evergreen I had not gotten in to fly fishing but! I know plenty of friends now a days that fish it, and can tell you there are some fish in that river that will suprize you!

I really want to check out Bear Creek next time I am in the old area. I always loved playing around the river when I was young and now I can think of plenty of spots to fish it.

I love catching trout on drys from hole to hole in a small creek setting. Give me a little more water and fishing like that any day!

Nice day indeed cant wait to get out in the next two days my self.

-B
Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Bear creek is fun but currently closed. Flows were too warm and low. In June I checked in a few spots and it was over 65 degrees. Hopefully it gets some water and recovers well.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:09 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Bear creek is fun but currently closed. Flows were too warm and low. In June I checked in a few spots and it was over 65 degrees. Hopefully it gets some water and recovers well.
Yea I hope it does, that is really high. I know some rivers around us are going though low flows warm temps too. Nothing to drastic like that yet.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

Hey frontranger;

Sounds like a nice day, great photos! I was up on Clear Creek yesterday for a few hours, but I was just a few miles downstream near the 6 and 70 junction. Discovered that the fish are a little bigger than downstream - and all I've ever caught are browns.

Last edited by cgrphoto; 07-19-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Removed URL to Blog.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:28 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I've caught browns and cuttbows further upstream, by our shooting range in Dumont. Plenty of fish in there.