The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM

keltybm is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing around Glacier national park

My dad and I will be visiting GNP for 4 days at the end of September. I looking into a few shops in the area and saw that the flathead river might be a good option? Have any of you fished this area much, have any suggestions on what river to fish and guides?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fishing around Glacier national park

The North Fork of the Flathead runs right along GNP. There's a road that runs alongside it all the way to Canada. If you know anything at all about fly fishing, you won't need a guide.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:47 PM

I am interested in possibly floating the river with my dad who has only held a fly rod a few times. I an quite experience myself as I have been a guide, but I am interested in us both having a great time. So any information or suggestions would be great.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Whitefish, Montana is probably the closest town with a shop, I think it's Stump Town Anglers, but I might be imagining that. Otherwise, I bet there are outfitters out of Columbia Falls. The North Fork is gorgeous, pretty barren of insect life because of how cold and it is, but there are fish. In September it'll probably be mostly streamer fishing, maybe some lingering terrestrial action, but it'll be get on toward winter up there. The Middle Fork Flathead is also a beauty, more of whitewater river, but I've heard it also fishes and the river runners will be long gone by then.

Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, I did some looking and there are a few fly shops in the area, Im looking for a recommendation on a guide. Has anyone fished in this area recently who could give some reports or incite?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

Fished North Fork and Middle fork (hungry horse to Teakettle). Lots of activity and good fishing. Both require boats. I would contact Lakestream and ask for Rob. Great guy and better guide.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Like I always say about the glacier area. Check out the creeks. They are always fun, and who doesn't like native fish. Like the others are saying, any of the flathead rivers.

The lakes of the area can also be very good. Some of them have been or still are homes to state record fish like the cutthroat trout and arctic grayling. I would consider the lakes inside of the park if you want a nice hike and bigger fish than you can find in the creeks and rivers. A good lake to try would be hidden lake. Its known for its large Yellowstone cutthroats but with it being known it is fished often.

Find a map and hike to a creek or lake if you don't want to hire a guide one of the days, just watch for bears

Good luck!

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com