The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By freebird630

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 12:53 PM

flytyingfred is on a distinguished road
Default fall fly fishing

I have a friend heading out west in early october. He is a fisherman but not a fly fisherman. I am lending him a rod and I am going to tie him a box of flies. He will be near the miracle mile so I was wondering what patterns to tie for him for the fall fishing season.I would like to have him a nice selection so he has a chance at catching a few and perhaps turn him into a full fledged fly fisherman too. thanks in advance for any suggestions you throw my way
Fred
Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fall fly fishing

Fred: For fall fishing I'd be looking to toss streamers. Checkout this fishing report, scroll to the bottom to see what they were saying last fall about the fishing. Miracle Mile Guide Fishing Report

Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 PM

mcnerney,
thanks for the tip.. I will make him up some streamers and I saw bwos on the hatch chart in oct. I will probably go with those two and some hares ear and pheasant tail nymphs. thanks again and I will let you know how he makes out on his trip.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Larry,
I do have another question for you I have a 9ft 5 wt 2 pc rod here and a 10ft 6wt rod. Could you give me your opinion on which rod he should take?? I was thinking the 9ft 5 wt. but not sure. I am trying to get things together here because I am leaving soon for fl. and wont be here when he leaves. He is driving out so the 2 pc rods wont be a problem.thanks in advance again if you reply....
Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: fall fly fishing

Either would work and the 5 weight would be my choice because I don't think he will throwing large heavy streamers. You also want to include a black and olive wooley buggers.
shortyb likes this.

Last edited by freebird630; 07-23-2012 at 12:24 AM.