The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wyoming Fishing

I got a chance yesterday to head down to one of my favorite fishing spots here in Wyoming, when I got there I couldn't believe the amount of Yellow Sallies and Caddis flies in the air and brush. They were pretty hard to miss as they covered the car as soon as I stopped at my fishing hole (actually this is Clint's favorite hole, but he was kind enough to show it to me, thanks again Clint!!!!). I rigged up with a dry/dropper setup and proceded to work the water, most of the hits were on my drowned tan caddis pattern, but later on I remembered that Frank had told me that a green Stimi works on this river and had some success on top (thanks for that tip Frank!!!!). There wasn't anything really happening as far as insect activity on the water, but whenever I sat down to tie on a fly the Yellow Sallies and Caddis flies were crawling all over me. Yellow Sallies were probably 10 to 1 to the Caddis patterns. I need to find a good Yellow Sallie pattern, if anyone has a good Yellow Sallie pattern please let me know.
Here are a few photos of the fish that were landed:
Click the image to open in full size.

Hardyreels, fysh, Pocono and 7 others like this.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:33 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wyoming Fishing

Quote:
I got a chance yesterday to head down to one of my favorite fishing spots here in Wyoming
I wish I could be transported to those spots. Thanks for the reports.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 AM

bmfa is on a distinguished road

WOW Very nice.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Larry, those are some nice looking fish! My favorite is definitely the second fish. Good times!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great fish Larrylooks like you'll have to buy a bigger net soon my friend!Agree with AJ the second fish is gorgeous
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow, what a day Larry! It looks like every fish was a netfull. Things here aren't so great right now unless I want to drive to the Kenai for sockeye............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Larry those are some nice fish wish i could be there. I tied a Yellow Sally pattern and my dad and some of his friends used out in Wyoming a few years ago only thing they could get the fish to hit on top then.I used if i remember right some med.yellow beaver dubbing with palmered yellow hackle trimmed on top and yellow deer hair for the wing tied in fairly flat. Been awhile since i tied it .
Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Very nice Larry, great cutthroats!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

wow! very pretty fish. I wise we had a couple of those monsters in the local streams near home. All we have here are 8 - 12in stockers, that all look the same.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Nice, the second and third pictures are sweet.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com