The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 01:49 AM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough
Default Blue River, Colorado- Help needed

I will be leaving the hot arid desert of Phoenix, AZ for the cooler climate of Dillon Colorado. My original plan was to hire a guide for 1 day and pick his brain to fill the rest of the days in town with productive fishing. However due to tight finances a guide is pretty much out of the question. I consider myself a pretty decent stick, and know I could get into fish without a guide. However.......I am looking for any insight into flies, public access points and possibly tributaries that are worth looking into.

I know there are some on here who fish the Blue regularly, and I would be willing to buy a case of beer if they would like to meet up at the outlets and go out for a day of fishing. It would be like a man date, but a fishing man date! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. A while back someone mentioned all they would need is a big mac bought for them to come fishing for a day, and I was wondering if that offer still stands. I don't remember who it was, but I am offering!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:17 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Blue River, Colorado- Help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
P.S. A while back someone mentioned all they would need is a big mac bought for them to come fishing for a day, and I was wondering if that offer still stands. I don't remember who it was, but I am offering!
Ha! That was me...

PM inbound...
Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Will fish fo food????? That's a new one. Good luck guys.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

im starting to think i need to take you up on that offer =)
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
im starting to think i need to take you up on that offer =)
Haha I just enjoy fishing with others rather than alone! I figured beer and food is a way to purchase a fishing buddy for a day and help with a successful experience.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM

vader33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
I am looking for any insight into flies, public access points and possibly tributaries that are worth looking into.
Head over to Silverthorne (right next door to Dillon) and go to the outlet shops there. The Blue runs right through there, and I've seen quite a few sticks get lucky there. Plus, there's easy (and legal) access all around the area. Also, I've fished east of Lake Dillon but it was so cold I didn't stick around long enough... Try the outlets, and there's also a spot near the overpass where I-70 crosses in front of one of the outlets...I can't remember exactly. You're going to do well with Stoneflies, Caddisflies, and pretty much anything else topwater. I've heard grasshoppers are also doing well, but I've honestly never seen a grasshopper anywhere near any of the rivers I've fished. Hope I've been able to help!

-Marc
Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

Don't forget to bring a good selection of small midges if the topwater fishing is slow. Also bring some mysis patterns as well, as dillon is a bottom drawing mysis filled resevoir.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 PM

wolftever is on a distinguished road

Tons of people fish the Blue between Silverthorne and Green Mountain Reservoir. I find that stretch of river a little too crowded most days for my taste. I prefer to fish below Green Mountain Reservoir. If you drive up Highway 9, just past Green Mountain Res, and then take a left onto Heeney Road, you'll end up crossing the dam. As soon as you cross the dam, hang a right and follow the road down to a parking area. You'll have to take a short but rather steep hike down to the river - but it's worth it. We were fishing there last year and landed some nice-sized fish. There's about a mile of water just below the dam that you can fish. And it's usually not as crowded as the stretch between Silverthorne and Green Mountain Res. While you're in the area, I'd also recommend checking out Lower Cataract Lake. Some good fishing there, especially up closer to the waterfall. Just a beautiful area to check out, too. I just posted some shots of Lower Cataract on my website if you care to check them out (flyfishcolorado.co). You can also bring Green Mountain Reservoir up on Google Maps to get your bearings. (GMR itself is usually worth a few casts, but it's awfully low right now. Our annual Fourth of July camping trip up there was a bust - ended it three days early because of the heat and low water.)

- Will
brucerducer likes this.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! My expectations being that it is a tail water was I would need plenty of 16-24 midges(zeebs, lazer), San Juan worms, and scuds.

I am getting a sense that traditional nymphs work as well? So PTNs, copper johns, hares ears?

I just am unsure of whether or not were talking deep/fast water? Shallow/riffle water?

I'm gonna stop off at a local shop and get some advice but I'm also just going to fish in hopes of dailing it in. I'm very good at worrying and over analyzing a fishing trip which I think I am doing now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 PM

mmike is on a distinguished road

I spent the day on the Blue. Had a lot of fun. We started by the outlet mall, surprisingly no crowds and big fish stacked up around the bridge. Looked like the makings of a great day. I tried to float micese shrimp, Pheasant tail Beads, Stone flies, ever tried going real small with olive dunn, and cadis. Nothing!
So I stopped by Cutthroat Outfitters. spent about $30.00 on flies I mostley already had( I think I was really buying their advise and they threw in he flies)
They told me to head down stream toward Green Mnt. We then proceeded to have a fun day fishing any hole we could find. The water is down and the fish were smaller,but hitting beads and stones. We caught 5-6 each. all in the 8-11 inch range and mostly browns. Not my best day on the Blue but a great day non the less.
Once again the Big Boys by the mall just wont bite. I know a lot of people do well there. Is there a trick. I felt I did everything right, dead drifts right in front of them and nothing.