The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wyoming Fishing Part II

After the fishing trip earlier in the week where the Yellow Sallies were everywhere, I decided to tie up a few flies to see how they would do and then headed out to Clint's secret hole (Thank You Clint!). When I got there, to my surprise the Yellow Sally hatch was pretvirtually over, (big disappointment) earlier in the week they were all over the car as soon as I parked. This time the Caddis flies were much thicker so I decided to just stick to Caddis patterns using a hopper/dropper setup. The fishing was much different today, much slower pace, but I did manage to bring two nice Browns to net, lost a huge Rainbow that broke me off while jumping out of the water (note to self: learn to give some slack in the line when the big boys jump) and lost another fish on the hookset. The first fish was landed using a green BH birdsnest pattern. In the afternoon I was having difficulty seeing the hopper pattern with a white post due to the glare on the water, so I switched out to a big black/red Chernobyl ant pattern with a big white wing (much easier to see). To my total surprise that second Brownie came up and exploded on the ant. Here are a few photos of the two fish I landed:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wyoming Fishing Part II

Atta Boy Larry! those are some pretty fish.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Tanks Larry, and thanks Larry! milt.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That is some secret hole! Man. I'll take that kind of "slow" fishing most of the time.

How big is that net frame, 18"?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Well done.......I like the way those browns are built. Super fat!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Larry we are like spoilt kids...not pleased when don't catch enough fish...not pleased when we catch too manylooks like the brown on the third pic is not pleased too to see you
Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
That is some secret hole! Man. I'll take that kind of "slow" fishing most of the time.

How big is that net frame, 18"?
Dean: Indeed that is a great fishing hole, but we have fished it early in the year and each time been skunked, so now I only fish it during the summer. Yes it is a Bodin net the inside dimension is 17 1/2".

---------- Post added at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Atta Boy Larry! those are some pretty fish.
John: Thanks! When do you guys head north for the big fishing adventure? Be sure to take lots of photos, we all want to do that trip someday and seeing the photos gets the juices going.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

More beauties Larry, that's great! At first when you said the blanket hatch had slowed I was worried, but my spirits rose later in the sentence when you said the caddis were out in force. Obviously a charmed life you Western fly fishermen face when it comes to hatches and "slow" days Now you just gotta get the tarpon bow in your repertoire and you won't lose the leapers Down south we call it "bowing to the king" when you thrust the rod out as they jump.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Larry don't you need an assistant or something along those line? Someone to hold the camera and such, I wouldn't ask for cash payment just a ride to these spots!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
More beauties Larry, that's great! At first when you said the blanket hatch had slowed I was worried, but my spirits rose later in the sentence when you said the caddis were out in force. Obviously a charmed life you Western fly fishermen face when it comes to hatches and "slow" days Now you just gotta get the tarpon bow in your repertoire and you won't lose the leapers Down south we call it "bowing to the king" when you thrust the rod out as they jump.
AJ: Amen to that, I know what I should do, but it always seems to happen so fast I don't think to lower the rod or give slack until it is all over. Something I definitely need to work on.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Larry don't you need an assistant or something along those line? Someone to hold the camera and such, I wouldn't ask for cash payment just a ride to these spots!
Wt Bash: Clint made me swear I wouldn't give out that fishing spot so I have to respect his wishes, especially since he was kind enough to not only let me know where it was but how to fish it. I must admit it sure is a nice break from catching the 8-12" fish I have been landing while exploring the waters around Pinedale. If you haven't fished it yet, get yourself down to the Green below Flaming Gorge. It is all BLM land and they have built a walking path from the dam all the way down to Little Hole (the first boat take out), I think it is about 7 miles. Even though in the summer there is a strong tuber hatch the fishing is still really good and they have some really nice fighting fish in that river.