The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Exclamation montana water closures

Here east of the divide we are beginning to see water closures. I have no idea how the western part of montana is doing but i was on the mo today and yesterday and floated past the dearborn and its low. Please follow the rules and give the fish a rest.

To see all closures check out this link
Click the image to open in full size.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-29-2012, 09:06 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: montana water closures

BILLINGS — Extended dry weather is prompting state wildlife officials to impose afternoon and evening fishing restrictions on three central Montana rivers.

The so-called hoot-owl closures begin Friday on portions of the Dearborn, Smith and Sun rivers.

Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks’ drought policy calls for fishing closures when maximum daily water temperatures reach at least 73 degrees for three consecutive days.

State officials say water temperatures of 77 degrees or higher can be lethal to rainbow and brown trout, which prefer temperatures in the mid-50s.

In a related step, the state plans to tell the owners of 37 water rights in the Smith River basin that they must stop diverting water from the river. Officials say that will help protect the fishery.
Drought prompts fishing restrictions on central Montana rivers | Great Falls Tribune | greatfallstribune.com
Of course there's higher elevations in the western part of Montana, and I would guess water temps there aren't anywhere near 70 degrees ?
I sure hope the drought up that way eases off some, I know it's very severe.
Texas went thru the same sort of thing last year, and much of the state
remains in drought though we were fortunate to get relief here in the southeastern part of the state in recent months.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: montana water closures

I know even in west central MT the temps are getting up there.

USGS Current Conditions for Montana_ Streamflow