The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By shortyb
  • 1 Post By newtofly
  • 1 Post By shortyb
  • 2 Post By cletus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 04:09 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Weekdays off in Red Lodge

Well I had a few weekdays off and figured I would hit up my local creek. While the flows are still pretty high to be wadding and walking, I decided to do some exploring any way. Found my self in some very tricky crossings but all in all had a great few days! Both days I used the same flys= stonefly/hopper pattern with a dear hair caddis/cripple dun as my trailing fly, I find these are great search patterns to use. My camera phone has been dunked a few to many times in the river and it does not always focus right so sorry for the blurry images.

First day I went to my normal spots. Had a few good fish on but the fast water kept me from lading them. All the takes were so explosive and fish were jumping like crazy too. I was practicing casting and trying different techniques than I am not used to (reach casts, down stream drifts) then found my self checking out some different areas of the creek that break off and found some real nice holes I never knew about. Not to mention a good 10+ fish day (not counting all the takes/quick releases).

Click the image to open in full size.

Sections of the river break off into some great brookie streams

Day two I figured I would explore the unknown and walked the river 3 miles up and hit every little hole I could find. This had to be the best of the two days. I love finding new water to explore on a river. Its changes so much from year to year its crazy ( not to mention the changes from last springs flood levels). Numbers of fish to net where higher and missed takes/quick released fish were too! (damn high flows)

Who knew we had cutthroat in the creek! I was so excited as this was my first cutty to bring into a net.

My biggest rainbow on the dry this year. 14"+

Day three (a week later) I found out that my Allen Trout2 reel had come in the mail (insert plug here). Just so happens it was my day off again so you know what that meant, BACK TO THE RIVER! I was really excited to test this reel out. I quickly spooled on brand new line/backing which I was also looking forward to testing out. The flows dropped about 200 which made wadding this time exceptional not to mentioned opened up some nice holding waters.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Another cutthroat!?!?! Hammered this hopper/stonefly pattern from the deep! I guess its official there are cutthroat here.

In the end 3 days of fishing, all top water action, 4 species of trout netted (in one day... to bad no whitefish could have made it 5 species). All in all I cannot express the fun I still have trying new techniques, finding new holes, and learning about fly fishing.

I think that fishing a small creek and streams like this are so rewarding in their own way. While I will not pull to hand many 18" fish or any for that matter. Fishing from pocket to pocket, hole to hole, and have fish rise out of no where to take your offering is well magical. Oh did I mention not seeing another living soul on the creek was a nice bonus too.

Till next time, tight lines!
Hardyreels, mcnerney and stenacron like this.

Last edited by shortyb; 07-30-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:39 PM

newtofly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weekdays off in Red Lodge

That sounds like a great couple of days to me! Congrats on getting to spend some time on the water and landing the "quad".
shortyb likes this.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Real nice Shorty, you are in a great area for sure.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

nice story and pics.I love fishing that area, i have got to get back there soon.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Cool trip... and scoring the trout GRAND SLAM to boot!

That's it... next trip to YNP I'm taking the Beartooth Highway and stopping in Red Lodge!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Weekdays off in Red Lodge

Thanks all~! Was a great few days on the creek! Cannot wait to go punish it some more next week.

Camped out at Stillwater river this past week and well.... fishing was not the best, lost 2 good fish landed a whitey and then it got too hot. So I headed up to the lower end of the headwaters by our camp ground and did some pocket water fishing till dark, hooked up with a lot of little guys to save the day.( was really surprised to find fish in small pockets next to such turbulent water, still learning every day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Cool trip... and scoring the trout GRAND SLAM to boot!

That's it... next trip to YNP I'm taking the Beartooth Highway and stopping in Red Lodge!
When you come visit Red Lodge make sure to send me a PM I can help with discounted lodging and maybe we can do some fishing
stenacron likes this.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post

When you come visit Red Lodge make sure to send me a PM I can help with discounted lodging and maybe we can do some fishing
Noted! Thank you, much appreciated.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great report and photos! Those fish look very healthy, congrats.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I lived in MT for 4 years and now that I'm in Oregon, the river I miss the most is the lesser-known Rock Creek (I know, blasphemy to many Montanans), great dry fly fishing on a 3-4 wt with great scenery as a back-drop. enjoy!
coolkyle and shortyb like this.