The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Gibbon River - Yellowstone N.P.

My family and I spent a much-anticipated vacation in West Yellowstone last Mon-Fri with daily "two-a-day's" into the park checking out the myriad of natural features as well as the wildlife. On Thursday morning I actually got to do a little fishing… and although we were staying in West Yellowstone, many cautioned me to consider other plans than the Madison or Firehole areas due to rising river temperatures. So I decided to shoot for the Lamar River as choice #1, with the Yellowstone River as a back-up in case the Lamar was blown out/discolored… both located exactly on the opposite side of the park from where we were staying. Long-story-short, the Park's road crew was "chip sealing" from Madison Junction to Norris Junction, and after sitting for 1:30 hours the previous night I decided to cut bait and just fish the Gibbon River about 2 miles north of Madison Junction.

It was "OK", not the best holding water in that stretch, but I made lemonade out of lemons and it was still great to finally wet a line in Yellowstone National Park… landed a few and lost a few and can't wait to go back now that I have a better understanding of the mileages within the park as well as potential traffic issues.

Starting the hunt on the Gibbon River
Click the image to open in full size.

FISH ON in the money hole!

First Whitefish of the morning

Brownie in the net

Rainbows were hard to come by this morning (lost a beauty on the jump), but this little guy made it into the net

Wild brown in hand

The seemingly always cooperative Whitefish!

Me and my faithful buddy – Toby – on the banks of the Firehole River

And finally, totally unrelated to fishing, but I had to share my daughter's shot of a WOLF that we crossed paths with one morning (before it circled around us and swam across the Yellowstone River).

Great trip, perfect weather all week, can't wait to go back!

If interested, here's a link to the rest of my photo's: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

TIGHT LINES!
countr21 and dharkin like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Last edited by stenacron; 08-02-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: "Lamar" River (not Layton)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Gibbon River - Yellowstone N.P.

Beautiful pictures, and the Wolf! Consider yourself lucky, I've only seen 1 here in Alaska and every time I hear of any they are already dead. Sad but true. It's been 31 years since I first fished that river, where does the time go...... I loved the upper Gibbon and fished in many of the Park waters from 81 - 87. I will go to see the rest of your pictures, good post this one.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

That's fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Been out to Yellowstone twice and never fished any of its rivers...What was I thinking?!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a great time, nice fish! I really want to head up over the pass and do some fishing in YSNP for some cutthroats. Some one told me I could have good luck in Lamar valley but Soda Butte skunked me last time I was there. Might have to try Slough Creek next time.

Quote:
can't wait to go back now that I have a better understanding of the mileages within the park as well as potential traffic issues.
It always amazes our guest here at the motel when I tell them it can take up to 3-4 hours to travel from one end to the other in the park. I explain to them 45 mph speed limit with rush hour like traffic this time of year. They never seem to believe me, not to mention google maps says you can make it 64miles over the Beartooth pass in 1hour.... more like 2.5 hah.

I really like your hat where did you get it
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post

It always amazes our guest here at the motel when I tell them it can take up to 3-4 hours to travel from one end to the other in the park. I explain to them 45 mph speed limit with rush hour like traffic this time of year. They never seem to believe me, not to mention google maps says you can make it 64miles over the Beartooth pass in 1hour.... more like 2.5 hah.
When we moved to Utah in 2010 (hey, two years ago TODAY) we took the scenic route through Billings, MT and then SW through Beartooth Pass... that was an amazing driving experience! So many alpine lakes up there... I wondered if there were trout - perhaps Golden Trout - in any of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post

I really like your hat where did you get it
Thanks. I just got it on this last trip. The store receipt says "Yellowstone Outlet"... it was right on Yellowstone Ave in West Yellowstone. Since moving to and fishing the high desert area I've got a new found respect for the intensity of the sun... figured it was time to move from "baseball cap" to something that offers a little more shade for my face, ears, and neck.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
When we moved to Utah in 2010 (hey, two years ago TODAY) we took the scenic route through Billings, MT and then SW through Beartooth Pass... that was an amazing driving experience! So many alpine lakes up there... I wondered if there were trout - perhaps Golden Trout - in any of them?
You passed through my little town then we are the last town before going over the pass. The lakes up on top are not stocked with fish from what I know that does not mean some one is keeping some secrets but any of the lakes that do hold fish you have to hike to (and there are a lot of them!) Far as I know Sylvan lake is the only one in the Beartooths that hold Goldens and thats on the N side of the mt. range

Quote:
Thanks. I just got it on this last trip. The store receipt says "Yellowstone Outlet"... it was right on Yellowstone Ave in West Yellowstone. Since moving to and fishing the high desert area I've got a new found respect for the intensity of the sun... figured it was time to move from "baseball cap" to something that offers a little more shade for my face, ears, and neck.
I like it! I too have recently realized I needed to start shading my face from the sun, picked up a garden hat from the hardware store. Its making due but not quite what I wanted.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 AM

I got my daughter to send me two other shots she snapped as that wolf entered the Yellowstone River.

Cool stuff!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 AM

argail is just really niceargail is just really niceargail is just really niceargail is just really niceargail is just really nice

beautiful pictures
cool Whitefish
What flies did you use when catch Whitefish ?
in one picture (12 in album) I saw the grass at my home we called Ivan Tea, ehhh nostalgia...
I & my wife, we go Yellowstone in autumn time, this year
Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great photos, especially getting a shot of the wolf, congrats! Traffic in the park can be crazy, it seems everyone will just stop in the middle of the road whenever there is any wildlife present so trying to cross the entire park to go fishing this time of year doesn't work.

Larry

Larry
Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic on the wolf.. great luck!