The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 AM

mmike is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing the CO River

Hey Guys,
I am camping this weekend at Winding River Campground. It is near the Colorado River just outside of the town of Grand Lake CO. I was wondering if anyone could help me with advise as to where to go and what to use? How is the CO fishing? Is it real low flow,or has the recent rains helped any? Thanks in advance for any info you would be willing to share.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM

khende is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing the CO River

Check in with Rocky Mountain Outfitters in Grand Lake. They have a three hour guided trip that is a real bargain. They are also licenced to guide in the Park and will put you on fish. I have been to the Fraser Valley/Grand Lake region of the Rockies for the last four years and have enjoyed our time there each time. We are going to be in Winding River the first week in September. I do not think that I am giving up any secrets by recommending the streach of the Colorado that flows between Granby Lake and Shadow Lake, loaded with fish. Watch for the resident Osprey. He will ***** at you if you jump his hole.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Interesting, I did not think that word in that context would be offensive.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 AM

Thanks khende,
I will try that stretch of the river and see what the giude fees are. Things may be i little tight for that now. I might have venture out on my own.
What would you be useing this time of year? I was thinking Stone fly,San juan worms or copper johns.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:05 PM

khende is on a distinguished road

also an attractor pattern with some red in it to simulate a blood mosquito, size 14 or less. You are there the same week I was last year and this fly worked great. Watch the hatch and be prepared with all of the basics caddies, BWO and PMDs.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM

Thanks khene,
I'll give it a try.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 AM

wolftever is on a distinguished road

Next time you're heading to that area (or anywhere in Colorado, really) to fly fish, I suggest you check out the fishing report that Rocky Mountain Anglers puts up on their website. It's fairly comprehensive and helpful in updating water levels, temperatures, and what's working. Here's a link to their site: ROCKY MOUNTAIN ANGLERS.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

I was up that way yesterday (rode up through Poudre canyon to Walden then back down 125 to Granby). The flows looked low and slow for the most part, not sure of the temps but saw tons of people at the campgrounds and a few people fishing.