The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Eureka! There's gold(ens) in them thar hills!

Just plain jealous. Great report.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Eureka! There's gold(ens) in them thar hills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mike View Post
great looking fish. By this

"So I prospected as I usually do with a scud and a wooly worm pattern", do you mean you use these as a 2 fly rig, or you alternate between the 2?
Alternate between the two. Scuds are common forage for high country trout on lakes. I use an olive scud to cast to visible cruisers. I also use an orange scud to prospect deep. It's highly visible in deep water and sometimes trout feeding on plankton will take it (or so says the guy that I buy them from).

The size 12 soft hackle wooly worm (black and grizzly) I use "just plain looks buggy" goes the dude I get them from. I like to fish it over the edges of rocky shelves where trout look to be holding. It sinks quickly and then I strip it on long, slow retrieves. I keep no slack in the line so I can feel the take. This fly has accounted for well over half of my high country brook, cutthroat, and golden trout. I also like to cast a size 16 S-H wooly worm to visible cruisers. I cast it out in front of the cruiser and watch it sink to the fish's level. If they don't see it right away, I'll give it a quick twitch and the trout always go right to it. I've never seen a cruiser refuse it.