The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By countr21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice
Default South Fork Flathead River info?

Welcome any info from anyone who has been able to fish this river. Thinking about a trip there next summer with my wife. Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Fork Flathead River info?

Are you talking about the Bob Marshall section or the stretch outside the wilderness down to the dam?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Rich Osthoff's book Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry has a great chapter in it about the South Fork of the Flathead. He talks about the hike in sections as well as everything that can be floated. Sounds like an amazing river. If I lived anywhere close to the area, I know I'd be in there every summer. The chance to catch true native, wild trout sounds so tempting.

You can get the book on amazon for $12-15 and Kindle has it for $13.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
Rich Osthoff's book Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry has a great chapter in it about the South Fork of the Flathead. He talks about the hike in sections as well as everything that can be floated. Sounds like an amazing river. If I lived anywhere close to the area, I know I'd be in there every summer. The chance to catch true native, wild trout sounds so tempting.

You can get the book on amazon for $12-15 and Kindle has it for $13.
When I first moved here I stumbled across that book and read that chapter. I've been longing to get in there for years. I had was planning a trip with a non-fishing friend who loves to backpack and spent a summer working a trail crew in the Bob. Then my wife got pregnant...

A friend of mine just did his second pack in / float out trip. Huge bull trout and big unadulterated westslope cutts ... someday ...
Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

Dean Mt - I am interested in the portion that is in the wilderness and accessed via pack trips. Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Well my info is all second hand, but truly second hand, like I said one of my good friends has done it twice. And I am seriously jealous. What kind of info are you looking for? Packers to hire? Or DIY?

If you are looking at a map, the common access is via Monture Creek trailhead. That is off from HWY 200, East of Missoula about 50 miles or so. They were dropped on Youngs Creek, a headwater trib close to the confluence of Danher Cr which forms the South Fork. From there it's 5 nights give or take depending on how much water you cover per day, to the North wilderness boundary where you'd be picked up or shuttled out. It's a long shuttle back around to where you would have started.

It's remote but you're not alone, is what my friend told me. You'll be floating down with other boats doing the same thing, probably seeing the same couple groups of floaters everyday.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM

guess I could have been more clear about what info I am looking for.

I love to fish for cutthroats. And this area has been on my bucket list. As the access is a bit of an effort and the cost for my wife and I somewhat expensive I guess what I want to know is how the South Fork of the Flathead is fishing. Is it worth the time and expense? So I would like to hear from anyone who has made this trip in the past couple of years.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 PM

zischkale is on a distinguished road

gbanker ... Still interested in info about the upper South Fork of the Flathead? I hiked in about 26 miles (from Meadows Creek trailhead) last July. Really enjoyed it. Solo trip for 9 days. Can tell you more if interested.

Would like to hike in from Benchmark (more on the south side), cross over the divide to Danaher Meadows, and fish several areas along the river (hiking north). Take out at Meadows Creek again, and get someone to shuttle me to the airport in Kallispell.

About 65-70 miles total. Planning to spend 11 days this time. Been trying to talk one of my buddies into going, but no luck so far. Too much vacation needed.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 PM

lostinmt is on a distinguished road

Its a nice river, I drove over it everyday to work last summer, at least from the dam down. Upper stretches hold fish and large grizzly bears. There is a lake above the dam. Up farther it gets remote and you want 4 wheel drive.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM

hansen919 is on a distinguished road

Fished this river last August with a guide service. I had such a great time that I must return this year. Worth every penny. the ride in on the horses was a bit rough, the fishing made up for it. Caught as many as 100 fish per day. Some of the prettiest water I have ever fished.