The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 09:51 AM

mcclurjc is on a distinguished road
Default Crazy Mountains in the Lewis and Clark NF Montana??

I'll be on an elk hunt in the Crazy Mountains in the Lewis and Clark National Forest somewhere near Forest Lake area, toward the end of September. Just wondering if it would be worth it to pack my fly rod for some of the down times?? Thanks for the info.

Cord
Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crazy Mountains in the Lewis and Clark NF Montana??

Always worth packing a rod for the afternoon hunting siestas! Have a great hunt out there. Is it a return trip or first time in the Crazys for you? I've never been in there, but gaze lustfully everytime I see them.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 PM

First trip to Montana ever! I planned on packing the rod anyway...just wanted some opinions to back it up.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:10 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Can be some of the best fishing the entire year. By all means take your rod.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclurjc View Post
First trip to Montana ever! I planned on packing the rod anyway...just wanted some opinions to back it up.
Lucky dog! Are you on a DYI hunt or guided?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the help guys!

dean_mt This will be a DIY hunt. Can't wait! I'll let you guys know how it goes...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

I just walked back in the door from the Crazies!!!! I was up there trying to get into a golden trout. I wasn't able to get to the lake because it is so hard to find, but I did have an absolute blast and a half fishing Sweet Grass Creek below Cave. SGC was absolutely loaded with 10-12" rainbows and cutbow hybrids. They were all well built and took flies with wreckless abandon. My biggest was a fat thirteen inch chrome bright bow. I I caught so many 10-12 inchers, that I harvested two for dinner. The only fly I needed was a Soft-Hackle Wooly Worm with an orange tail.

Look for future pics of SGC on this forum.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Oh and to add..........Pat Marcuson's book Fishing the Beartooths has a chapter in it about the Crazy Mountains. But make sure you get the updated version printed in 1997 I think it is. Just don't get the old version from the 80's with the blue cover. I think you can find it around the net for less than face value.

Last edited by countr21; 08-27-2012 at 02:23 AM.