The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 AM

buffler razz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wind River Mtns Fishing Trip

Beautiful pictures! I'm headed in that general direction over Labor Day for a backpack trip into the Winds with my sons. Not sure of the destination just yet but will post some pictures when I get back. More than likely we will be coming in out of Dubois as that is where they work summers.

BTW, is that Dexter Smith? I stayed at their place last September, we got to talking and I was a couple hours late meeting my boys.

Again, great pictures!
Razz
Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffler razz View Post
Beautiful pictures! I'm headed in that general direction over Labor Day for a backpack trip into the Winds with my sons. Not sure of the destination just yet but will post some pictures when I get back. More than likely we will be coming in out of Dubois as that is where they work summers.

BTW, is that Dexter Smith? I stayed at their place last September, we got to talking and I was a couple hours late meeting my boys.

Again, great pictures!
Razz
Razz: You are correct, that is Dexter, just a wonderful person to meet and be around. Best of luck with your trip, the Wind River Range is just spectacular country to experience. I've never been on that side of mountains and would really love to see your photos so be sure to post a trip report. If you are ever in the Pinedale area, give me a shout, maybe we can do some fishing.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:04 PM

buffler razz will become famous soon enough

Thanks Larry! rI will certainly post some pictures. We are finalizing our plans now. My brother flies out of Jackson on Wednesday morning so I intend to fish my way back to New Mexico. I had a great time visiting with Dexter, and fishing the Winds. Here is a shot from up at Lake Louise on last year's trip.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by buffler razz; 08-19-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: trying to get picture to show
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffler razz View Post
Thanks Larry! rI will certainly post some pictures. We are finalizing our plans now. My brother flies out of Jackson on Wednesday morning so I intend to fish my way back to New Mexico. I had a great time visiting with Dexter, and fishing the Winds. Here is a shot from up at Lake Louise on last year's trip.

Click the image to open in full size.
Razz: Looks like a great spot. There definitely was a lot more snow in the high country last year. I only saw a couple very small patches of snow on the very highest peaks this year. I sure hope we get more moisture this coming year. I've heard that hay is going for $250 a ton right now due to the drought. I did a float on the Green near town last week and the temp was 64 degrees in the am and hit 70 as we pulled off the river, so I don't plan on fishing the local streams except the tailwaters, at least until it cools significantly.

Larry

Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 PM

mr mike is on a distinguished road

Great pics. Heading out there in 3 weeks--can't wait!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Great pics Larry glade to see you had a good time and introduced some young men to fly fishing .I have never been to the Winds but have pulled my horses from here to the Beartooths and done some backcountry packing an fishing.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Reminds me of my childhood on the western slope - Grand Mesa and Douglas Pass. I haven't packed into a lake on a horse in 40 years. Thanks for the beautiful photos and the trip down memory lane.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimulator2 View Post
Great pics Larry glade to see you had a good time and introduced some young men to fly fishing .I have never been to the Winds but have pulled my horses from here to the Beartooths and done some backcountry packing an fishing.
Shannon: If you ever bring your horses out this direction, Dextor runs a B&B and offers horse boarding, I don't know the name of his operation or what he charges, but will find out if your interested. The great thing that he does for his guests is to take them into the Winds and Wyoming Range on horse trail rides while they stay at his place and he doesn't charge extra for the trail rides.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:49 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Thanks Larry . I may try that.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:56 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

I bet you'd never think someone could spot the lake in that second picture....but I can!!! I was there this summer myself.....and it is FAR away from any trailhead. I hiked out of Elkhart Park and I put the mileage to that lake at about 22-23 miles. And the name of it is......well I gotta PM you on that one since you did not pinpoint the lake I won't either. I know you said you were C&R only on this lake but I did harvest five nice little cuttys between the lower and upper lakes. When remote lakes are loaded to the brim with 10-14" trout, a little harvest helps out IMO. Expect a PM about that lake, goldens, and some other stuff. It's always a pleasure to speak directly to a Warthog driver

During that same trip I camped and fished Elbow for one night and one full day (the evening caddis hatch and then all day the next). I too was skunked. I usually keep the good golden trout lakes under wraps but I myself mentioned Elbow Lake in an earlier post on the forum this summer. It's well known as a trophy golden lake and it's fished daily during the summer, so the cat is definitely out of the bag on Elbow. When I was there in July, there was a party of 3 guys who had been dropped by an outfitter. They all had luxurious float tubes. One dude had a fish finder on his boat and said the goldens were there but all huddled down together in the middle of the lake 20-40 feet deep. I did see a few rises out in the middle of the lake but that was about it. I've hiked to hundreds of high lakes, and for beauty and scenery I would place Elbow right at the top. 360 degrees of pure mountain grandeur!!

I was just in Pinedale about a week ago. I made a dash up to Clear Lake above the Green River Lakes TH. Clear Lake has amazing goldens but do not even attempt to get to this lake unless you are a tried and true off trail hiker (this goes out to all). There was a forest fire in the Clear Lake drainage in 1988 and the trail is now nonexistent and littered with a downfall nightmare. It took me five hours to go the 1.5 mile from the Natural Bridge to the lake. Sorry, no pics as I did not bring my camera. What a shame too......great goldens at Clear. The reason why the goldens are so big is because no one fishes it any more. The hike is just too difficult.......I cannot stress enough to everyone how difficult the hike is to get in. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS HIKE UNLESS YOU ENJOY TORTURE!!!! I would never do that hike again knowing what I know now. Hiking in a Lodgepole Pine downfall jungle is hazardous!!! Knowing what I know now I would never make that journey...just too dangerous. The reason why I actually made it was I got close enough to the lake that turning around seemed stupid..........what was stupid was continuing on to the lake. So by all means, if you want to fish for 14-18" goldens, here it is on a silver platter. CLEAR LAKE in the Winds.......but you've been warned!

By the way the meadows below the Natural Bridge look spectacular to fish. I did not wet a line because I was so pressed to get to and from Clear Lake.....but when I passed by the meadows there were a handful of fly fishers with their waders on the creek cleaning up. During the mile long hike past the meadows I witnessed 4-5 people hooking into some nice little brookies. Very scenic, great camping, and only about a 3 mile hike from the Green River Lakes TH.

I also car camped at the GRL campground and had a riot fishing the headwaters of the famous Green River. Beautiful river and a blast to fish. And for only the second time ever I saw a family of river otters on the far shore.......quite possibly one of my favorite mammals. It's a shame there are no trout in the Green River Lakes (at least I didn't see any). I scouted the big lake closest to the campground all evening and saw zero evidence of trout. Too bad, this big lake looks like it would be a haven for stocker browns and 'bows.

Sorry to ramble on and on, but I get giddy when I talk about the Winds. They are a special place to the backcountry angler.